Sep 3, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
It’s a famous little bit of Lakers lore, how after a few years of working with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Andrew Bynum said he had learned all he needed to from arguably the greatest center to ever play the game and moved on from that relationship.
@KobeSystem_Fans I am. When I’m released
Released clearly means when doctors okay him to return to the court and full NBA contact. Which might not be until after the NBA season starts.
Thing is, Howard’s footwork (and quickness with his feet) is better than Bynum’s. Howard has less of a need for that kind of fundamentals work with Kareem, but he’s smart to work Kareem and pick up some tips. (If you just said to yourself “all Howard can do is dunk” I suggest you go watch footage of him in the post from the last couple years, he has a much more diverse post game than that. Besides, dunks are the most efficient shot in basketball, if you can get them take them.)
Bynum’s footwork when he entered the league, when he worked with Kareem, was atrocious. He came to the NBA out of high school and it took years of work, with Kareem and others, to get his footwork to the good spot it is now. But Kareem wanted to drill Bynum on the fundamentals because that is what Bynum needed and the youngster didn’t enjoy it. So when he could he moved on.
Kobe Bryant had and still has the best post footwork of any post player on the Lakers, by the way. He should be teaching these guys.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13