Sep 3, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
It’s a famous little bit of Lakers lore, how after a few years of working with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Andrew Bynum said he had learned all he needed to from arguably the greatest center to ever play the game and moved on from that relationship.
@KobeSystem_Fans I am. When I’m released
Released clearly means when doctors okay him to return to the court and full NBA contact. Which might not be until after the NBA season starts.
Thing is, Howard’s footwork (and quickness with his feet) is better than Bynum’s. Howard has less of a need for that kind of fundamentals work with Kareem, but he’s smart to work Kareem and pick up some tips. (If you just said to yourself “all Howard can do is dunk” I suggest you go watch footage of him in the post from the last couple years, he has a much more diverse post game than that. Besides, dunks are the most efficient shot in basketball, if you can get them take them.)
Bynum’s footwork when he entered the league, when he worked with Kareem, was atrocious. He came to the NBA out of high school and it took years of work, with Kareem and others, to get his footwork to the good spot it is now. But Kareem wanted to drill Bynum on the fundamentals because that is what Bynum needed and the youngster didn’t enjoy it. So when he could he moved on.
Kobe Bryant had and still has the best post footwork of any post player on the Lakers, by the way. He should be teaching these guys.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (46)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)