Sep 3, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
It’s a famous little bit of Lakers lore, how after a few years of working with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Andrew Bynum said he had learned all he needed to from arguably the greatest center to ever play the game and moved on from that relationship.
@KobeSystem_Fans I am. When I’m released
Released clearly means when doctors okay him to return to the court and full NBA contact. Which might not be until after the NBA season starts.
Thing is, Howard’s footwork (and quickness with his feet) is better than Bynum’s. Howard has less of a need for that kind of fundamentals work with Kareem, but he’s smart to work Kareem and pick up some tips. (If you just said to yourself “all Howard can do is dunk” I suggest you go watch footage of him in the post from the last couple years, he has a much more diverse post game than that. Besides, dunks are the most efficient shot in basketball, if you can get them take them.)
Bynum’s footwork when he entered the league, when he worked with Kareem, was atrocious. He came to the NBA out of high school and it took years of work, with Kareem and others, to get his footwork to the good spot it is now. But Kareem wanted to drill Bynum on the fundamentals because that is what Bynum needed and the youngster didn’t enjoy it. So when he could he moved on.
Kobe Bryant had and still has the best post footwork of any post player on the Lakers, by the way. He should be teaching these guys.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70