Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
It’s a cliché to say that being a point guard is to be the quarterback of a team.
“I didn’t watch a lot of NBA games growing up,” he says. “I watched the Green Bay Packers. I always had dreams of being an NFL player. I was a high school quarterback and I really think that has helped me become a leader on the basketball court. They are pretty much the same position.
“The quarterback is the guy who calls all the plays and gets all the attention and the same with the point guard in basketball. You have to hit the open man.”
Rondo played some football but like a lot of professional athletes had to narrow that down in high school as it became clear he could make a living playing one particular sport.
Rondo would have needed to bulk up a little — okay, a lot — but he has the mental toughness of a football player. His decision making is not in question. I could see him on the gridiron. Except they already have a pretty good quarterback in New England. May need to stick with the Celtics.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 7
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 7
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 19