But what Rondo really wanted to do was be a quarterback

Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo AP

It’s a cliché to say that being a point guard is to be the quarterback of a team.

But in an interview with the South China Morning Post (via ESPNBoston.com) Rajon Rondo took that too the next level, thinking he wanted to be Brett Favre more than Bob Cousy.

“I didn’t watch a lot of NBA games growing up,” he says. “I watched the Green Bay Packers. I always had dreams of being an NFL player. I was a high school quarterback and I really think that has helped me become a leader on the basketball court. They are pretty much the same position.

“The quarterback is the guy who calls all the plays and gets all the attention and the same with the point guard in basketball. You have to hit the open man.”

Rondo played some football but like a lot of professional athletes had to narrow that down in high school as it became clear he could make a living playing one particular sport.

Rondo would have needed to bulk up a little — okay, a lot — but he has the mental toughness of a football player. His decision making is not in question. I could see him on the gridiron. Except they already have a pretty good quarterback in New England. May need to stick with the Celtics.

1. dls612 - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

He probably would’ve been quite decent as a NFL QB he has great decision making, he great at reading defense and he’s smart!

2. hokiegajanisgod - Sep 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Don’t stress Rajon, being the best QB in B’Ball is quite an accomplishment….and you don’t take shots to the body and head on a consistent basis.

3. phaden27 - Sep 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I’m afraid if I comment once more, the napalm will come out again.

4. mrpowers88 - Sep 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Chip Kelly did say a couple years ago that Rondo would be the prototype QB for his offense

5. manotas211 - Sep 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I still don’t like Rondo’s game he is as dirty as John Stockton. If not worse. About him being a quaterback he wouldn’t handle the hits. Also with his arrogance he would have a bullseye on his a$$. Go Lakers.

• hannsta - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

You should have put Go Lakers at the front of your comment so I could have ignored the rest.

6. bozosforall - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Allen Iverson a much better QB than Rondo in HS. Three state titles to his credit. None for Rondo.

• bougin89 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I knew Iverson won a football state title and bball state title his junior year but I thought that was all he won. He didn’t compete in sports his senior year if I’m not mistaken.

• bozosforall - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Three state football titles.

• bougin89 - Sep 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You actually made me research this and I cannot find anything that says he won more than 1 state title in football. He only won one at Bethel H.S. thats for sure.

7. manotas211 - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hannsta. Stop being a Laker Hater. L. A has and always be a contender to win it all every year. Go Lakers.

• zerole00 - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Dude, get a life. We’re all fine with you being a Lakers fan, but to bring in an unrelated topic is just asinine. Are you that desperate to ride on their coattails?

8. dal24la - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

He’d probably be better than Tebow or Mark Sanchez if you gave him a full training camp…

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches