Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
It’s a cliché to say that being a point guard is to be the quarterback of a team.
“I didn’t watch a lot of NBA games growing up,” he says. “I watched the Green Bay Packers. I always had dreams of being an NFL player. I was a high school quarterback and I really think that has helped me become a leader on the basketball court. They are pretty much the same position.
“The quarterback is the guy who calls all the plays and gets all the attention and the same with the point guard in basketball. You have to hit the open man.”
Rondo played some football but like a lot of professional athletes had to narrow that down in high school as it became clear he could make a living playing one particular sport.
Rondo would have needed to bulk up a little — okay, a lot — but he has the mental toughness of a football player. His decision making is not in question. I could see him on the gridiron. Except they already have a pretty good quarterback in New England. May need to stick with the Celtics.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29