Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
It’s a cliché to say that being a point guard is to be the quarterback of a team.
“I didn’t watch a lot of NBA games growing up,” he says. “I watched the Green Bay Packers. I always had dreams of being an NFL player. I was a high school quarterback and I really think that has helped me become a leader on the basketball court. They are pretty much the same position.
“The quarterback is the guy who calls all the plays and gets all the attention and the same with the point guard in basketball. You have to hit the open man.”
Rondo played some football but like a lot of professional athletes had to narrow that down in high school as it became clear he could make a living playing one particular sport.
Rondo would have needed to bulk up a little — okay, a lot — but he has the mental toughness of a football player. His decision making is not in question. I could see him on the gridiron. Except they already have a pretty good quarterback in New England. May need to stick with the Celtics.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23