Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
It’s a cliché to say that being a point guard is to be the quarterback of a team.
“I didn’t watch a lot of NBA games growing up,” he says. “I watched the Green Bay Packers. I always had dreams of being an NFL player. I was a high school quarterback and I really think that has helped me become a leader on the basketball court. They are pretty much the same position.
“The quarterback is the guy who calls all the plays and gets all the attention and the same with the point guard in basketball. You have to hit the open man.”
Rondo played some football but like a lot of professional athletes had to narrow that down in high school as it became clear he could make a living playing one particular sport.
Rondo would have needed to bulk up a little — okay, a lot — but he has the mental toughness of a football player. His decision making is not in question. I could see him on the gridiron. Except they already have a pretty good quarterback in New England. May need to stick with the Celtics.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18