Sep 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets are leaving no stone unturned in looking for some big man depth.
Blatche, 26, has been working out in Houston with a number of other N.B.A. players, under the guidance of John Lucas. He was set to meet with Nets Coach Avery Johnson sometime this weekend, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. It was not clear whether the Nets were prepared to make Blatche an immediate offer or were simply exploring their options.
I bet exploring their options.
Blatche has always been a player of unfulfilled promise. He has the athletic tools and he has had some well-played Aprils after the Wizards were eliminated from the playoffs. But sustained success has eluded him. He has the focus of a four-year old. He put up better numbers for a couple years recently (16.8 points and 8.2 rebounds a game in 2011) but he was never terribly efficient, never took control with the team. Then last year he faltered and took a step back. The Nets had moved on and amnestied him. Everyone has moved on.
He could work on a team where he just comes off the bench for 15 minutes a game and has no pressure or responsibilities. He’ll have to sign for the league minimum so it’s not a bad risk.
But don’t expect much from him. Do you think after 7 years of this Blatche is finally going to get it? He’s saying all the right things but do the Nets, with all their new pieces, want to bring his mindset into a locker room where they are trying to build some chemistry?
But someone will take a chance on Blatche before the season starts.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18