Sep 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
The Brooklyn Nets are leaving no stone unturned in looking for some big man depth.
Blatche, 26, has been working out in Houston with a number of other N.B.A. players, under the guidance of John Lucas. He was set to meet with Nets Coach Avery Johnson sometime this weekend, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. It was not clear whether the Nets were prepared to make Blatche an immediate offer or were simply exploring their options.
I bet exploring their options.
Blatche has always been a player of unfulfilled promise. He has the athletic tools and he has had some well-played Aprils after the Wizards were eliminated from the playoffs. But sustained success has eluded him. He has the focus of a four-year old. He put up better numbers for a couple years recently (16.8 points and 8.2 rebounds a game in 2011) but he was never terribly efficient, never took control with the team. Then last year he faltered and took a step back. The Nets had moved on and amnestied him. Everyone has moved on.
He could work on a team where he just comes off the bench for 15 minutes a game and has no pressure or responsibilities. He’ll have to sign for the league minimum so it’s not a bad risk.
But don’t expect much from him. Do you think after 7 years of this Blatche is finally going to get it? He’s saying all the right things but do the Nets, with all their new pieces, want to bring his mindset into a locker room where they are trying to build some chemistry?
But someone will take a chance on Blatche before the season starts.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16