Sep 2, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a lot of relatively new pieces in Milwaukee. Samuel Dalembert is the true center they’ve been shopping for since Bogut started having injury issues, John Henson‘s an exciting rookie that they have to figure out where he goes, and Monta Ellis is still new to the team having only joined them at the deadline. But Luc Richard Mbah a Moute has been in Milwaukee a while and the Bucks will be counting on him to provide some stability to the forward position along with his superb defense and off-ball play.
LRMaM had a knee injury last season that severely limited his mobility and he finally had surgery on it this summer. Mbah a Moute told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that he’s progressing as he should, but that he’s not sure when he’ll be available for the start of this season, in training camp or the regular season.
“I feel good. The knee is getting better,” Mbah a Moute said. “I’m right on track to be back for the beginning of the season. I’m just excited to be healthy again.”
Mbah a Moute was a restricted free agent last year during the lockout and got a late start with the Bucks due to his contract situation, as Milwaukee matched a four-year, $19 million offer made by the Denver Nuggets. Then he immediately encountered problems with his knee, problems that continued throughout the season and limited him to 43 games (22 starts).
“At this point I’m not sure,” Mbah a Moute said of being ready on the opening day of training camp in early October. “My goal is to be ready for camp, but if not, make sure I’m ready. I don’t want to rush that.”
The Bucks have the forwards to be able to handle his absence until he’s good to go, even if they’re a little light on the wing with Carlos Delfino signing with Houston. But LRMaM should give the Bucks a great weapon on both ends of the floor, slicing backdoor while Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova run the pick and roll, and finishing little plays, something he was terrific at last season. Defensively is where he makes his mark, though. And for a team that took a step backwards in their roster makeup to try and add some firepower, he’ll be relied on to contain the other team and see if the offense can get them home. He just has to get right first.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18