Sep 1, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Serge Ibaka didn’t get a ton of minutes in London, and there were a lot of questions why he was on the bench when the Gasols got into foul trouble throughout the tournament. After all, this was the runner-up to Defensive Player of the Year in the NBA (contain your giggles). There were reports that Ibaka was upset and could be done with playing for the country who helped foster his career and eventual leap to the NBA. But Ibaka told Marca in an interview translated by HoopsHype that he’s not at all done with playing for Spain in the Olympics.
Serge Ibaka: “I don’t want to leave the National Team, I will play with Spain if they ask me to. I feel very proud about playing with Spain.”
Ibaka’s likely in a nicer mood since he just got his massive extension. But it was good that he got out in front of this. No sense in having it dragged back up in three years when talk of Rio begins. Pau Gasol may very well not be participating in those games, and he’ll have more experience and a wider skillset to bring to the table. It’s unlikely that Ibaka will have the difficulty in getting minutes he did this summer.
And besides, blocks!
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte