Rajon Rondo is not taking the bait on Ray Allen questions

Sep 1, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

In a fascinating (albeit brief — it’s Rondo, after all) interview with Rajon Rondo Friday, Ethan Sherwood Strauss of Bleacher Report asked the Celtics’ dynamic point guard a number of fascinating questions. He did touch on the big question everyone wants to know, whether Ray Allen took his talents to South Beach because of his personal issues with Rondo.

Rondo ain’t biting:

B/R: There have been reports that Ray Allen went to the Heat because there was strife between you and him. Is that overblown? Is there any truth to those reports?

RR: I think Doc answered that question pretty much. I don’t have anything to say about that.

via Rajon Rondo Dishes on His Current and Future Status with the Boston Celtics | Bleacher Report.

No shock there. Rondo’s certainly not the cuddliest bear on the shelf, but he’s also not going to take any shots at anyone.

He’s just, you know, not NOT going to take any shots at anyone If the Miami rivalry was ugly and nasty last year, with Rondo and KG taking off before Game 7 even ended, it’s only going to get uglier with Ray on the other side. Don’t hold your breath for any pre-game handshakes between the two.

For me, though this was the most interesting question (outside of an adorable eating-eel anecdote):

B/R: You do throw that behind-the-back on the pick-and-pop a lot of the time to Kevin Garnett. What’s your favorite kind of pass to throw? Is is that one?

RR: Oh, I like throwing a cross-court one-hand bounce-pass between the defense to P (Paul Pierce). I’ll throw a little English on the ball, throw it between two, three guys that are trying to run extremely hard to the paint. Then you got Paul Pierce trailing for the three—and obviously I’m pleased when he makes it.

First I like that Rondo talks about Pierce making it as if that’s an afterthought. The pass is what matters. Second, it, along with several other answers, show how instinctual and natural Rondo’s game is. He’s less of a chemist and more of an artist when it comes to the game, and it shows in both his creativity and approach. And maybe that’s why he’s such a handful to deal with at time. I mean, have you met any artists?

1. jimeejohnson - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Rondo didn’t make the Olympic team for one reason: his outside shooting is not very good. Other than that, he is a spectacular talent who would make any team better. The Celtics will not stand a chance of competing for another championship without him. Hopefully, he does not attack any referees no matter how bad they are.

• phaden27 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Wrong. Very very wrong. Rajon Rondo DECLINED to be on team USA because he likes his summers. Sh!tty reasoning, but that’s the truth. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• sellahh - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I might as well believe you phaden27.
        “He’s less of a chemist and more of an artist when it comes to the game, and it shows in both his creativity and approach.”
        I’d say Rondo is as much of a chemist as of an artist. Those two feature seem to mean the same to me, anyways. If anything, Rondo doesn’t seem like a blacksmith. He’s just got so much natural talent and feel for the game… If he had a jumpshot he’d be a perfect player.

• money2long - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

i actually think the olympic team didnt want rondo on the squad. rondo said after the fact he likes his summers to, in my opinion, mitigate being slighted of a roster spot.

• giselleisasucubus - Sep 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Actually phaden, you are wrong. He was on the team a few years back and he was going to make the final roster, but he acted like a jerk and they got rid of him. If Doc is the next coach, Rondo will be on the team. Look up the facts.

• phaden27 - Sep 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sorry! I let emotion dictate my post before looking up the information! YOU ARE ALL CORRECT TURN OFF THE FLAMETHROWERS IT REALLY HURTS.

• giselleisasucubus - Sep 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM

money is right on the …money, THAT is what happened. Saving face comment when he got cut “I like my summers”. Good call money

2. fincity305 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Rivalry? Or us just kicking boston’s sore losing ass every year?

3. miamatt - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Good to see that all the boo-hooing about the refs is still alive in Boston. I lived there for seven years (just moved back to Miami) and the onoxious local TV announcers have done such a disservice to all the Boston fans who grew up listening to their inane commentary. You expect the local crew to be excited about the home team but there are a couple of things you are gauranteed to get from these guys: the opposing team is never given credit, and the Celtics have never in their entire history lost a game, they’ve simply been robbed by refs/injuries.

Unfortunate that the franchise with the proudest history in the league has the biggest bunch of crybabies for fans. Officiating is always a factor but it doesn’t decide games or championships. I am sure the “ignorant, bandwagon miami fan” comments are coming so let let me just say I lived in Chicago during the 2nd Bulls 3-peat and in Boston during their last title and subsequent finals appearance. Not for a second did my allegiance waver.

And for the record, Rondo is a top-five player in this league if he ever develops a consistent jumper. I feel priveleged to watch him play, even though he’s not on the team I root for.

• knightrider1755 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Are you referring to the Celtics or the Knicks?

• sellahh - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I think he’s referring to Tom Heinsohn. Dude’s such a homer that it is actually really more fun to turn off the sound during Celtics’ broadcasts.

• money2long - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM

hahaha @ sellahh’s turn off the sound comment.

tommy heinsohn o lord! open the dictionary to the word homer and there’s a picture of tommy heinsohn holding a picture of tommy heinsohn.

• sellahh - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That’s exactly how i’ve learned what ‘homer’ means.

• miamatt - Sep 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

@money2long, I laughed my a$$ off at your comment. Flawless!

• saint1997 - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

that was a necessary attack

• giselleisasucubus - Sep 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Shocking, the 78 year old Celtics Hall of Fame Player and Coach will ELEVEN rings combined is a Celtics homer. Every city is like that.

• miamatt - Sep 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Every city’s home announcers are indeed homers, but they are not like the Celtics’. If you actually believe that “every city is like that” you’ve either never listened to any local crew outside of the Celtics, or you have never listened an entire Celtics local TV broadcast. I can watch a local Bulls broadcast on WGN and not get pissed off at the commentary. Listen to a local Heat broadcast, and they call out the Heat for not playing well, acknowledge foul calls that are bad whether in favor of the Heat or the opposition, and give credit when opposing teams/players are playing well. Yes, they get excited for the local team (as they should), but what goes on for the NESN or CSN broadcasts in Boston is downright unprofessional. I can understand local fans loving them, but it does them a disservice to grow up with such a narrow perspective.

4. Kansachusetts - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Good story, Matt.

5. manotas211 - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM

He declined to answer the question about Ray Allen because it’s true. If he was a true point guard he would have enjoyed passing the ball to the best true shooting guard in the game. Paul Pierce is not and won’t ever be as good shooter as (He got game) Ray Allen. Celtics suck.

6. jh4prez - Sep 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Celts are done.rondos the only legit allstar on the roster anymore.id say rondos more alchemist than anything.

7. theboysofdallas - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Smart dude

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches