Sep 1, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Facing an uncertain future as to how teams will be constructed beyond 2016, and after a 62-1 run for the men’s team under his watch, Jerry Colangelo is coming back once again to run Team USA basketball. From USA Today:
“I’ve decided I’m going to continue,” Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m committed to our organization during this transition period. I want to make sure, as good as things are, that once the baton is handed over to someone it’s in even better shape. That’s the plan for these next four years.”
Colangelo has done about as good a job as can be imagined, not only bringing back the wins that Americans expect on the international basketball stage, but bringing back a level of character. Team USA has been tough on its selections for who gets in, and how they affect the chemistry. There were even reports that Colangelo and company bodied up LeBron in 2008 to tell him to knock off the nonsense.
Colangelo has managed to not only get high quality guys, but consistent commitments from the best players. Under his watch, the brand will remain powerful enough to get the big boys back.
The biggest challenge for Colangelo will obviously be the selection of a new coach. Coach K has already made it clear he’s done. So the program will have to find someone to not only fill in, but be the kind of pillar to help manage the transition if Colangelo were to step away after Rio.
Side note: I wasn’t aware Colangelo was also the chairman of the Hall of Fame. The guy is pretty much the Godfather of Pro Basketball. Well, you know, he and Worldwide Wes.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16