Aug 31, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
The Dwyane Wade media blitz has begun — his new book on fatherhood (“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball”) hits the shelves next week and he is going to be on a big book tour promoting it. He will be everywhere. Letterman. The View. Sports talk shows. You will turn around in line at Starbucks and swear you saw Wade talking about his book.
Early reviews are that the book has a lot more basketball in it than expected for a book about his nasty custody fight with his ex-wife (which he won) and what he learned from that experience. It should be an interesting read.
Our man Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel has a good look at the Sun Sentinel (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie), breaking out some of the best basketball tidbits, but this leaps off the page as my favorite:
In his darkest days of a difficult youth, he turned to watching “Knight Rider” alongside his grandmother, writing, “I actually told David Hasselhoff how he helped me get through the tough times in childhood.”
Didn’t “Knight Rider” help us all through our childhood, in the way the show “Kung-Fu” did for a generation before us?
One other Wade tidbit, in case you wanted to understand how Dwight Howard felt about Stan Van Gundy, but also what he will later realize.
Of breaking into the NBA under Stan Van Gundy, he writes, “Coach Van Gundy has a voice that rings in your ears and get underneath your skin. Always on edge, he coached from a state of high alert.” But he later adds, “Because of Stan, my toughness and drive showed up early on.”
Be ready for a deluge of Wade notes and stories out of his book and book tour in the coming weeks.
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 2
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 16
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7