Aug 31, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
The Dwyane Wade media blitz has begun — his new book on fatherhood (“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball”) hits the shelves next week and he is going to be on a big book tour promoting it. He will be everywhere. Letterman. The View. Sports talk shows. You will turn around in line at Starbucks and swear you saw Wade talking about his book.
Early reviews are that the book has a lot more basketball in it than expected for a book about his nasty custody fight with his ex-wife (which he won) and what he learned from that experience. It should be an interesting read.
Our man Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel has a good look at the Sun Sentinel (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie), breaking out some of the best basketball tidbits, but this leaps off the page as my favorite:
In his darkest days of a difficult youth, he turned to watching “Knight Rider” alongside his grandmother, writing, “I actually told David Hasselhoff how he helped me get through the tough times in childhood.”
Didn’t “Knight Rider” help us all through our childhood, in the way the show “Kung-Fu” did for a generation before us?
One other Wade tidbit, in case you wanted to understand how Dwight Howard felt about Stan Van Gundy, but also what he will later realize.
Of breaking into the NBA under Stan Van Gundy, he writes, “Coach Van Gundy has a voice that rings in your ears and get underneath your skin. Always on edge, he coached from a state of high alert.” But he later adds, “Because of Stan, my toughness and drive showed up early on.”
Be ready for a deluge of Wade notes and stories out of his book and book tour in the coming weeks.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14