Aug 31, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
The Dwyane Wade media blitz has begun — his new book on fatherhood (“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball”) hits the shelves next week and he is going to be on a big book tour promoting it. He will be everywhere. Letterman. The View. Sports talk shows. You will turn around in line at Starbucks and swear you saw Wade talking about his book.
Early reviews are that the book has a lot more basketball in it than expected for a book about his nasty custody fight with his ex-wife (which he won) and what he learned from that experience. It should be an interesting read.
Our man Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel has a good look at the Sun Sentinel (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie), breaking out some of the best basketball tidbits, but this leaps off the page as my favorite:
In his darkest days of a difficult youth, he turned to watching “Knight Rider” alongside his grandmother, writing, “I actually told David Hasselhoff how he helped me get through the tough times in childhood.”
Didn’t “Knight Rider” help us all through our childhood, in the way the show “Kung-Fu” did for a generation before us?
One other Wade tidbit, in case you wanted to understand how Dwight Howard felt about Stan Van Gundy, but also what he will later realize.
Of breaking into the NBA under Stan Van Gundy, he writes, “Coach Van Gundy has a voice that rings in your ears and get underneath your skin. Always on edge, he coached from a state of high alert.” But he later adds, “Because of Stan, my toughness and drive showed up early on.”
Be ready for a deluge of Wade notes and stories out of his book and book tour in the coming weeks.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 15
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 56
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20