Shed a tear: Sasha Vujacic and Maria Sharapova broke up

Aug 31, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lady Steel And Ceramic Pavee Watch Launch Getty Images

I’m sure this brings a tear to your eye…

OK, not really. It’s more offseason distraction. But let’s be honest here — you have no shot at her. So back off that fantasy.

Anyway, it’s true. The rumors that former Laker and Net (and current Turkish league player) Sasha Vujacic and tennis icon Maria Sharapova have ended their engagement are true. She confirmed it in a press conference at the U.S. Open.

Adds Sharapova: “It was obviously a challenging decision, you know, from both of our ends.”

She said it has been off since the spring, so those reports of a November wedding may be off. She said that the reason the Camelot-like romance fell apart was careers and schedules, for example he had not been home in the 10 months since he signed to play in Turkey.

I just celebrated my 10-year wedding anniversary, so I have at least some skill at keeping a woman from walking out the door on me, and I would say not being home in 10 months will get you in trouble pretty much every time. Just my opinion, but I feel pretty confident on that one.

We now return you to our usual dog-days TMZ programming…

1. cosanostra71 - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

“But let’s be honest here — you have no shot at her”

That’s what you think Kurt!

• imwhitewolf - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Decisions, decions. Anna or Maria?

• imwhitewolf - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:58 PM

decisions—-long week. Mind knows how to spell. Fingers don’t listen.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Anna better. Maria’s mad overrated.

Funny how as soon as she realized those NBA checks aren’t gonna be coming in no more it’s curtains for my boy Sasha! Last year was a lockout shortend season so she cut him a break, but this year it’s apparent he isn’t coming back to play with the big boys so she’s done. Lol!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Anna who?

• florida727 - Sep 1, 2012 at 5:48 AM

“maltliquor”, let me explain to you how ridiculous your comment actually is. Maria couldn’t care less about Sasha’s “NBA contract”. Why? BECAUSE SHE’S THE RICHEST FEMALE ATHLETE IN THE WORLD. A simple Google search would have told you that her net worth exceeds $90 million and last year alone she made $24.5 million (includes endorsement income). Her career tennis earning stand at about $14 million.

Still think she gives a s*** about Sasha’s net worth?

Kurt, congratulations on the 10-year anniversary. Quick story: for my 20th, I took my wife to Nassau in The Bahamas. Four days, three nights. All her friends thought I was the greatest guy on the planet. Trip cost me $35. Frequent flier miles and hotel stay points, my friend. THAT is the key to a successful marriage.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Calm down flo rida, I was just having a little fun with it…sheesh! Google search, lol! Some people sure are sensitive as hell on here, I swear.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

They need a little elixir, as in malt liquor.

2. therealgts - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM

It was a challenging decision from both of their ends? I know which one of their ends I’d like to see

3. lakerluver - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

“The Machine” is crazy for screwing that up, Maria is FINE!!

4. c5924w - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM

She’s too high maintenance me figures!

5. rocketsbb - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM

The one good thing Sasha had left, is now also gone…

6. hjorgan - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM

He probably called it off because she’s too quiet in the bedroom. Too tired from all the shrieking on the tennis court!

7. money2long - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I bet Goran Dragic is enjoying this. While they are both Slovenian, those two hate each other. Dragic has gone on to become the lead guard of an NBA team, while Sasha is out the league and without a girlfriend.

8. mickeylolich1968 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Someone showed her a video of Sasha getting toasted by Ray Allen in the 08 finals.
    She dumped him the next day!

9. badintent - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Now I know why she has started wearing red tennis panties this year for the first time in her tennis career !! She’s advertising she’s available …. to the entire world. Gotta be at least 6′ 4″ to do her standing up. Everyone that height or more, get in line behind me ! Got first dibs.Cue “The Midnight Rambler ” music, open the hotel curtains. It’s Prime time” ! Sorry Deon, you just too short on both ends.But keep head butting your cell wall, chump

10. isujames - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Who??

11. manchestermiracle - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Why do I get the feeling that Kurt’s “skill” at keeping a woman consists of handcuffs and a basement?

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches