Rondo says he expects Celtics to win NBA title. This year.

Aug 31, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

There are two franchises where an NBA championship is just expected by a fan base — the Lakers and Celtics. They are not going to win it every year (although combined they have won half of the NBA’s championships) but fans and the front offices expect to be in the mix every year.

With that, we should not be shocked when Rajon Rondo told the Chinese publication The Standard that he expects the Celtics to win it all this year (via Hoopshype):

“I think because we have a talented group of guys… the additions of Courtney Lee, [Jason] Terry and Jeff Green,” Rondo said.

“We have high expectations every year… I think we got a lot better than last year.”

Rondo is in China on a Nike-sponsored tour. And he is right, the Celtics will be deeper and better than last year. The question remains is that going to be enough?

I don’t think so, I think they need a lot of things to go right to have a shot. Miami will be better and they are still the team to beat in the East. And the entire NBA if you ask league executives. But even if the Heat falter a little and he Celtics can win the East there are questions about how they would fare against the Lakers or the Thunder out of the West.

But I wouldn’t want Rondo to say or think anything else. He’s a Celtic, he should be thinking title.

1. thestudiokida - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The Celtics might have won a championship last year if they hadn’t lost so many guys to injury; not that the Heat didn’t earn it. Now they add Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Jared Sullinger. If they can stay healthy I think they have a good shot.

PS I’ve learned that this team only goes as far as Kevin Garnett takes them. He played fantastic last year in the playoffs and if he does it again he should have the support to get them over the hump and into the Finals.

• therealhtj - Aug 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The only way they were winning a championship last year is with a few more injuries to the competition. Same goes this year.

2. miamatt - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

That’s exactly what he should expect. I’m not pulling for him but I respect him for saying it.

3. acdc363 - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

He’s been saying some good stuff lately! Could we be seeing an evolved and more mature Rondo in the making? I can only hope so!

4. misterdreamer119 - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Rondo is the man. A true playoffs stud. Cp3, Rose shrink come playofd time oh Dwill too.

• dls612 - Sep 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

should never refer to another man as stud!

5. missmd07 - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

What is he suppose to say Kurt? I don’t think we can win and I don’t have confidence in the team I’m suppose to be leading this season. Every team plays for a championship. Only 1 will win but that’s suppose to be the expectation. Almost every athlete answers the same question the same way whether its A’mare saying “championship or bust” or Rondo saying he “expects to win one.” He’s been saying the same thing every year in interviews. He expects them to win doesn’t mean he guaranteed they will win. Expectation is good.

6. missmd07 - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Also I read that article. He was not quoted with saying that so we don’t know what the Hong Kong reporter asked him. He only had a few quotes in that article which you used but we don’t know what the reporter asked him when he talked about the new guys. They also wrote that when asked about Ray Allen he said “he’s fine.” Rondo’s people have told reporters not to ask about Ray Allen everywhere he’s stopped so far on Redbull tour so I doubt he got into the Ray question w/ the Hong Kong reporter.

7. test2402 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Kid. What the hell are you doing. You are crazy you. You are freaking bastard.

8. dls612 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Miami expects to repeat!

9. shockexchange - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Boston has the talent to win it all, but the young guys have to come through. The Shock Exchange respects Rondo’s confidence and the fact that he’s willing to hold himself accountable. This is a sharp departure from other so-called superstars who underachieve and then throw shade at everybody else.

• limonadamas - Aug 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I love how you refer to yourself in the third person… “Disco Stu doesn’t advertise.” hahaha

• shockexchange - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Your sense of humor “ceases” to amaze the Shock Exchange

10. eventhorizon04 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM

…I love how these statements become full articles.

Rondo expects the Celtics to win.
    Amar’e says it’s championship or bust.
    Durant says it’s time for OKC to win now.

I’ll save everyone some time:
    Kobe/Howard, Wade/LeBron, CP3/Griffin, and Duncan/Parker all expect to win this year too.

See – now we don’t have to read 4 more articles about championship-contenders expecting to win.

• passerby23 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Thank you. Not only that, but I don’t see where Rondo even mentioned championship. If you asked him I’m sure he would say he thinks the Celtics can win it all, but he didn’t say it here.

11. eventhorizon04 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Celtics matchup well with the Heat, Spurs, and OKC. I’m not saying they’d be favored to beat them, but I could easily see a 7-game series.

All of those 3 teams are best at small ball, which is what the Celtics want to play.

The question would be, could the Celtics’ defense grind the game down enough to keep them competitive, since Spurs, Heat, and OKC would all win shoot-outs.

The thing is (not a Laker fan), I don’t think the Celtics matchup against the Lakers since the Lakers have two 2-way bigs. The Lakers want to play in the half-court, and have the personnell on offense (Nash) and defense (Howard) to win in the half-court.

To beat the Lakers going small, you need either an athleticism advantage (OKC), 3-point shooting advantage to negate Howard’s impact on defense (Spurs), or a mix of both (the new look Heat with Ray Allen, and potentially a healthy Rashard Lewis and Mike Miller).

12. lakerluver - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I can’t help but love Rondo!! This dude is cold blooded and confident as heck! I can’t believe the C’s even considered trading him! He may not be the most gifted pg in the league but he has tons of heart. He reminds me of Isiah. Not because of his style of play but because of his attitude and fortitude.

13. lakerluver - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

“The shockexchange”?!……..From now on I shall be known as The lakerluver.

14. anbesanegus - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I expect to let off a golden egg on my next trip to toilet

15. pantsfreezone - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Boston isn’t even going to make it back to the Eastern Conference Finals. KG and Pierce have a ton of miles on them and Rondo isn’t going to carry Bradley, Terry, Lee and the rest of the middling talent on the team anywhere.

Boston is a six seed, second round exit team at best. Then Ainge will decide to start selling off pieces and the rebuilding begins.

16. manotas211 - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The Celtics won’t win another title for a good while. The Heat just got better this year. Garnett is old and so is pierce. By the way Rondo dirtiest player in the league. He gets away with a lot of hacks that’s the only way he can get steals. Celtics are done. Go Lakers.

17. pukpokito - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

THe Celtics need to trade for Anderson Varejao.He is an active body takes care of his position efficiently and knows his role. He does not overdo things.He can be counted on to make his free throws.His only knack is he gets hurts more than he should hence is always out on important part of the season and he doesn’t exactly watch his fouls.But with the Celtics, he will help them because they are a center by committee and he can be their starting Center.Coach Rivers can limit his minutes and he can be there in the postseason.He will do well with their rebuilt roster as he is able to run with them.Can the Celtics trade for Andy and his $9 million salary? That is the BIG Question with a deal happening.Who will be the player the Celtics will have to give?

• passerby23 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM

You said it yourself: who will the Celtics have to give up for Varejao? You can scratch off Rondo, Terry, Lee, Pierce, Green, Garnett, Bradley, and Sullinger. You’re left with Bass and Wilcox. Wilcox will not work from a financial and logical standpoint. What about Bass? He can score a little more than Varejao, I just don’t see how that move benefits Cleveland. They are grooming Tristan Thompson.

I like the move if they can get him, but I don’t think Boston has the pieces straight up to trade for him. They would need another team.

18. lakerluver - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Dude, really, you want Andy V.?!!!

19. omniusprime - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The only reason the ancient Celtics got as far as they did last year in the playoffs is that they play in the Eastern Creampuff Conference, the biggest joke in the NBA. Sorry Rondo but all you’ll ever get is that one championship ring, unless you go to the Lakers. The Celtics won’t even make the playoffs this season.

• 22yearsagotoday - Sep 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

How stupid are you? The NBA champion Miami Heat play in the Eastern Conference.

20. fanz928 - Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Championship? Try making it to the finals

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches