Aug 31, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
You hear a lot of NBA players talk about a transformation in their diet as they age in the league — they come in being able to eat just about anything and go out and perform. But about their mid- to late-20s, they start to realize they need to take better care of their bodies and their diet shifts to grilled chicken, vegetables and healthier fare. Sometimes the pendulum swings all the way to the Steve Nash diet.
Kevin Durant, he’s 23 and can eat whatever he wants still.
SLAM: Tell me something about Kevin Durant that I wouldn’t know.
RI: He doesn’t like greens. He just started eating salad like a year ago. He loves chicken wings though, but yeah, he won’t eat greens, and he’ll tell you that he doesn’t like greens or salad. I don’t know how he got so tall, or how he stays so skinny without eating greens, but he doesn’t. I sit next to him on the plane and have never seen him eat greens.
I have this problem with my 4-year-old. My advice is for the people around Durant to go “sneaky chef” on him — you can puree vegetables, mix them into a marinara sauce and he will never know the difference. There are all kinds of ways to trick kids — or the best scorer playing basketball today — into eating what’s good for them without them even knowing.
By the way, you should read the entire Ivey Q&A, talking about him giving back to his neighborhood and what it’s like on the bench in the NBA.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20