Aug 31, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
You hear a lot of NBA players talk about a transformation in their diet as they age in the league — they come in being able to eat just about anything and go out and perform. But about their mid- to late-20s, they start to realize they need to take better care of their bodies and their diet shifts to grilled chicken, vegetables and healthier fare. Sometimes the pendulum swings all the way to the Steve Nash diet.
Kevin Durant, he’s 23 and can eat whatever he wants still.
SLAM: Tell me something about Kevin Durant that I wouldn’t know.
RI: He doesn’t like greens. He just started eating salad like a year ago. He loves chicken wings though, but yeah, he won’t eat greens, and he’ll tell you that he doesn’t like greens or salad. I don’t know how he got so tall, or how he stays so skinny without eating greens, but he doesn’t. I sit next to him on the plane and have never seen him eat greens.
I have this problem with my 4-year-old. My advice is for the people around Durant to go “sneaky chef” on him — you can puree vegetables, mix them into a marinara sauce and he will never know the difference. There are all kinds of ways to trick kids — or the best scorer playing basketball today — into eating what’s good for them without them even knowing.
By the way, you should read the entire Ivey Q&A, talking about him giving back to his neighborhood and what it’s like on the bench in the NBA.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 6
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44