Aug 31, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
You hear a lot of NBA players talk about a transformation in their diet as they age in the league — they come in being able to eat just about anything and go out and perform. But about their mid- to late-20s, they start to realize they need to take better care of their bodies and their diet shifts to grilled chicken, vegetables and healthier fare. Sometimes the pendulum swings all the way to the Steve Nash diet.
Kevin Durant, he’s 23 and can eat whatever he wants still.
SLAM: Tell me something about Kevin Durant that I wouldn’t know.
RI: He doesn’t like greens. He just started eating salad like a year ago. He loves chicken wings though, but yeah, he won’t eat greens, and he’ll tell you that he doesn’t like greens or salad. I don’t know how he got so tall, or how he stays so skinny without eating greens, but he doesn’t. I sit next to him on the plane and have never seen him eat greens.
I have this problem with my 4-year-old. My advice is for the people around Durant to go “sneaky chef” on him — you can puree vegetables, mix them into a marinara sauce and he will never know the difference. There are all kinds of ways to trick kids — or the best scorer playing basketball today — into eating what’s good for them without them even knowing.
By the way, you should read the entire Ivey Q&A, talking about him giving back to his neighborhood and what it’s like on the bench in the NBA.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48