Aug 31, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
You hear a lot of NBA players talk about a transformation in their diet as they age in the league — they come in being able to eat just about anything and go out and perform. But about their mid- to late-20s, they start to realize they need to take better care of their bodies and their diet shifts to grilled chicken, vegetables and healthier fare. Sometimes the pendulum swings all the way to the Steve Nash diet.
Kevin Durant, he’s 23 and can eat whatever he wants still.
SLAM: Tell me something about Kevin Durant that I wouldn’t know.
RI: He doesn’t like greens. He just started eating salad like a year ago. He loves chicken wings though, but yeah, he won’t eat greens, and he’ll tell you that he doesn’t like greens or salad. I don’t know how he got so tall, or how he stays so skinny without eating greens, but he doesn’t. I sit next to him on the plane and have never seen him eat greens.
I have this problem with my 4-year-old. My advice is for the people around Durant to go “sneaky chef” on him — you can puree vegetables, mix them into a marinara sauce and he will never know the difference. There are all kinds of ways to trick kids — or the best scorer playing basketball today — into eating what’s good for them without them even knowing.
By the way, you should read the entire Ivey Q&A, talking about him giving back to his neighborhood and what it’s like on the bench in the NBA.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 3
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 13
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17