Aug 31, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than Republicans love bashing Obama… well, maybe not that much.
• Just how good was Allen Iverson? Ethan Sherwood Strauss argues his style of game was bad for a generation of ballers to imitate.
• Iverson’s crossover would have been among the all-timers on this list, but who now has the NBA’s most signature moves.
• The Bobcats hope they can reach Tyrus Thomas in a way previous coaches could not. Let’s just say a lot of the people who have worked with Thomas in the past had that same thought and wish. Yet here we are.
• Darius Songaila, who played pretty well during the Olympics, is willing to take less money to play in the NBA (as opposed to contracts he’d get in Europe) to be closer to his child who lives here.
• This year the Lakers broadcasts in Los Angeles will move to the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet, which launches Oct. 1. You know, that crazy big local television that allows the Lakers to have a payroll $17 million more than any other team in the league next season. But there is an issue, the new channel does not have contracts to air on DirecTV, Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-Verse or any other cable outlet in the Southern California region that is not Time Warner. A lot of fans could find it hard to see Lakers games in Los Angeles. And people are getting worried about it.
• Yes, the Bobcats picked up Ramon Sessions, but don’t be surprised if Kemba Walker is the starting point guard.
• A fantastic story about the Lakers Steve Blake, who sponsors a child in Rwanda, going with his wife to meet the girl and see how she lives.
• Patrick Ewing is taking a year off coaching and will try to relaunch his “Ewing Athletics” shoe brand.
• Celtics assistant GM Mike Zarren has taken himself out of the running for the 76ers GM job.
• Remember how the Warriors were taking to hold their draft position last year and keep their pick? Well, they are giving up a lot of picks in the next couple years as well.
• Hilton Armstrong has reached a deal with Panathinaikos in Greece.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48