Aug 30, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
They may love him and erect statues to him in Beijing, but things are different in Virginia.
That is where Stephon Marbury, through his business entities, bought some commercial properties for investments. But the bank says they have not been paid on loans for those properties and because Marbury personally guaranteed the loans they are coming after him in court to get their pound of flesh. Or, just the cash.
U.S. Bank, which is servicing a bundle of loans originally owned by Wachovia, sued Stephon Marbury and several of his investment entities — one of which is called Starbury GSA — for $3 million. Marbury’s nickname as a high school phenomenon was “Starbury.”
The suit contends that, through the entities, Marbury bought industrial and office properties across the county, including one on Poplar Drive in Petersburg that was leased to the US. General Services Administration for use by the Social Security Administration….
Wachovia lent $1.4 million to Marbury in 2007. In August 2011, U.S. Bank foreclosed on the Petersburg property and sold it for $1.31 million, according to the suit. The bank alleges that it is still owed $1 million by Marbury, which includes unpaid interest and legal fees.
Marbury is in China preparing for the next season of the Chinese Basketball Association — where his team is the defending champion — and has not yet commented on the lawsuit.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20