Aug 30, 2012, 12:56 PM EST
They may love him and erect statues to him in Beijing, but things are different in Virginia.
That is where Stephon Marbury, through his business entities, bought some commercial properties for investments. But the bank says they have not been paid on loans for those properties and because Marbury personally guaranteed the loans they are coming after him in court to get their pound of flesh. Or, just the cash.
U.S. Bank, which is servicing a bundle of loans originally owned by Wachovia, sued Stephon Marbury and several of his investment entities — one of which is called Starbury GSA — for $3 million. Marbury’s nickname as a high school phenomenon was “Starbury.”
The suit contends that, through the entities, Marbury bought industrial and office properties across the county, including one on Poplar Drive in Petersburg that was leased to the US. General Services Administration for use by the Social Security Administration….
Wachovia lent $1.4 million to Marbury in 2007. In August 2011, U.S. Bank foreclosed on the Petersburg property and sold it for $1.31 million, according to the suit. The bank alleges that it is still owed $1 million by Marbury, which includes unpaid interest and legal fees.
Marbury is in China preparing for the next season of the Chinese Basketball Association — where his team is the defending champion — and has not yet commented on the lawsuit.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18