Aug 30, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
They may love him and erect statues to him in Beijing, but things are different in Virginia.
That is where Stephon Marbury, through his business entities, bought some commercial properties for investments. But the bank says they have not been paid on loans for those properties and because Marbury personally guaranteed the loans they are coming after him in court to get their pound of flesh. Or, just the cash.
U.S. Bank, which is servicing a bundle of loans originally owned by Wachovia, sued Stephon Marbury and several of his investment entities — one of which is called Starbury GSA — for $3 million. Marbury’s nickname as a high school phenomenon was “Starbury.”
The suit contends that, through the entities, Marbury bought industrial and office properties across the county, including one on Poplar Drive in Petersburg that was leased to the US. General Services Administration for use by the Social Security Administration….
Wachovia lent $1.4 million to Marbury in 2007. In August 2011, U.S. Bank foreclosed on the Petersburg property and sold it for $1.31 million, according to the suit. The bank alleges that it is still owed $1 million by Marbury, which includes unpaid interest and legal fees.
Marbury is in China preparing for the next season of the Chinese Basketball Association — where his team is the defending champion — and has not yet commented on the lawsuit.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 0
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 6
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 14
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 23
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26