Aug 30, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
The Charlotte Observer reports that Josh Howard, who is from Carolina and attended Wake Forest, is in Charlotte working out for the Bobcats as he continues to look for an NBA team.
Former Wake Forest forward Josh Howard is doing some workouts with the Charlotte Bobcats this week, president of basketball operations Rod Higgins confirmed.
The Bobcats’ interest in Howard at this point is still exploratory, as they consider ways to fill out their roster. The Bobcats would like to have another power forward, and have previously considered Antawn Jamison, Kris Humphries and Carl Landry, who all signed elsewhere. Howard, 6-7, has played both power and small forward.
The Bobcats could use Howard to not only improve their depth (since pretty much anything is an improvement on their depth from last year), but help Michael Kidd-Gilchrist adjust to the NBA game. Howard fit in well with the Jazz last season, before an injury futzed with things. Ty Corbin took valuable minutes away from sparkplug DeMarre Carroll last year to keep Howard in the starting lineup for his experience.
Howard is a long way from his All-Star season in 2007, but could still help the Cats out. Again, only one way for them to go up, really.
Yahoo Sports reports that Howard could also get interest from the Knicks. Well, Howard’s a player who was great four years ago with injury issues, so yeah, that makes sense. But Howard also makes sense for New York. He’s a veteran defender and the Knicks like playing with guys with experience.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 6
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 10
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90