Tyshawn Taylor talks about dealing with friends wanting money

Aug 29, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT

Final Four - Ohio State v Kansas Getty Images

Last week was the Rookie Transition Program, which is where the league brings in all its first-year players (and this time second-year players, too, as there was no program after the lockout) and tells them all about the friends and family who are going to try and leech their money, women who are going to come on to them with ill intent, and suggest they may want to save some money off their paychecks rather than buying that fourth car as a rookie.

Tyshawn Taylor was in that class and then headed back in Lawrence, Kansas, where he went to college.

The new Net grew up in New Jersey not far from New York and now he is moving back home to play in Brooklyn. Home, where there are a lot of old friends. Some of whom wouldn’t mind a piece of Taylor’s money. You can bet some of his group who will come right out and ask him for money. He was up front in talking about it to the Lawrence Journal-World.

“I think that’s going to happen whether I’m home (in New Jersey) or not. It’s a little bit easier for them to get access to me being close to home. It was something I was going to have to deal with anyway,” Taylor said. “I am dealing with it. It is what it is. I can say no. I know who I can give money to and who not. It’s cool. Being in New York is not hard. It’s where I’m from. I am home thinking I’m Tyshawn, but I’m not just Tyshawn to everybody else.”

The NBA life is an adjustment. Not just on the court, but off it as well. And plenty of guys get swept up in that and lose focus on the game. Taylor seems to have his head screwed on about the issue, but every guy in the league faces this. All the time.

1. sun602 - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Can I get a dollar?

• money2long - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hey, LIttle Dude From Across The Street… Let Me Hold A Dollar

(LIKE if u know where this is from, lol)

2. dls612 - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Tyshawn! Really! I’m African American , so I have the rite to make this call! Black people stop it with these ignorant names! Didn’t want to comment on the article because his name distracted me! Show the rest of the world we have sense!!

• zblott - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

The same ignorant white people who say stuff like this are the ones now naming their kids Dakota, Jaxson, Paris, Riley, River, etc. For all the complaining white people have done for years about black people and their made-up names (note: most of our common names didn’t exist 100 years ago), they now just seem like racist johnny-come-latelies.

• dls612 - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Who cares about that! I’m speaking about my race! What is Ur name Deontre or something stupid like that! I knew I was gonna get negative responses, but I’m one of those people that call it like I see it!

• chicitybulls - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

@dls
        I’m black too but I couldn’t disagree more. To quote my namesake William Shakespeare “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would still be a rose”. Judge a person by their character, not their name. That’s what small minded racist people do. You kind of sound like Bill Cosby with that mindset. If you really judge a person by their name then you are the one with the problem and have some real soul searching to do. You, my friend, is the one showing your ignorance.

• money2long - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

dls612..

is there a pool of names you feel the rest of the world should have to choose from ? names are born all the time. if that wasn’t the case…every man would be named Adam and every woman would be Eve.

Let it go.

• adzs - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

To be honest speaking from across the pond alot of black people like myself do laugh at the names African Americans give their children; casing points: D’Brickashaw, De’Cody, Craphonso, Coco and Shammgod to name a few lool…to be fair Tyshawns quite mild when compared to the given examples

• zblott - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM

And as long as anyone of any race continues to comment on the “absurdity” of what black people name their kids and rarely mention the equal “absurdity” of white people and the “uniqueness” they pass onto their children, then you’re encouraging racism. To equate “weird name” with something black people do is racist, especially when you realize most of the common white names today didn’t exist just a couple generations ago.

• money2long - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

i feel like the movie Ted has brought recent attention to unique names, if you know the scene in the movie i’m referring to.

• adzs - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I actually don’t, although now i feel the urge to check the film out over the weekend lool ;D

• dgforreal - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM

You must have ADD if a person’s name distracts you. As a black person I’m more embarrassed by your post than this guy’s name, not that race excuses or gives the “rite” to comment in such a manner to begin with.

Why don’t you start showing that you have some sense and not overreact to stuff that has nothing to do with you.

Use a period sometimes.

I’ll be more broad and general, people stop with these ignorant posts.

• knightrider1755 - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

dis612: To be real, you sound ignorant commenting on what others decide to name their children. It’s no business but the parents. Worry about what you name yours, if you’re lucky to have any, and leave what others decide to them.

3. mjbulls45 - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

its not

Jamarcus

or J’marcus, or D’brickashaw

or “La—a” —> Ladasha

there are more exotic, and who really cares about names?

• dls612 - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

You probably wear Ur clothes half off Ur ass! Who the hell u know that is successful with names like that other than rappers? At least names from our ancestors or African heritage!

4. mendenhallfumblemachine - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Being African American doesn’t give you the right to say what parents should or shouldnt name their kids, that’s an awful statement.

• dls612 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Tell that to kids that are subject to getting teased and looked at as an outcasts simply because of a name!

5. knightrider1755 - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I agree. A parent has a right to name his or her child whatever they want and it’s nobody”s business but their own.

• therealhtj - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Just ask Barkevious Mingo.

6. reprob8 - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

uhhh…what was this article about? baby’s names???

back to the subject: i hope that he’ll manage his time, money and personal life well. it’s generally a difficult thing to do, but particularly when you’re home, among the crew that you came up with and you’ve got more resource$ than you could ever imagine!

best wishes, Mr. Taylor

7. 40thstreetblack - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Really! You read this article and the only thing you can think to comment about is the Man’s name? Of course your gonna get negative comments. One of the greatest things about America is the vast diversity. Are you this critical about names from other cultures? Haven’t you seen roots? Are we all expected to name our boys “Toby” or be deemed ignorant! Unreal! By the way, I named my son Tyshaun, so I guess, according to you, I’m ignorant. P.S. I’m white!

8. unxpexted1 - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

So I guess you’re only a fan on Kevin Durant and dismiss other players like Kobe, Carmello, and Lebron because of their name.

And to the kids getting made fun of point. thats gonna happen no matter what. I’m black and have what most would consider a “white” name, but i got made fun of just as much just for that. Fact of the matter being, it doesnt matter what a person’s name is. Condoleeza(or however you spell) has an awful looking name…yet she was secretary of state…Chill out son.

Wizards playing spoiler in East