Picture of the Day: Marbury with his statue in Beijing

Aug 29, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT

Marbury statue

Remember early last year, when Knicks fans were worried about when J.R. Smith could get out of his China contract and help the Knicks in the NBA playoffs, but everyone had to wait for his team to be eliminated from the playoffs?

Well, Stephon Marbury and his Beijing Ducks were never eliminated — they won the title. And Marbury would have been the MVP if the Chinese Basketball Association allowed foreign players to win such awards. But they don’t, so the good people of Beijing raised the money for a Marbury statue.

Well, here it is. Marbury sent this photo along with a nice email to the folks at GQ.

Good for Marbury.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Good for my son.

2. b7p19 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM

His story is awesome. I would have never guessed that he’d emerse himself into the Chinese culture like he has and win over that country. While people like JR Smith have their sister beat people up, Starbury has embraced everything China has given him. Good job Steph.

• gmsalpha - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I was about to say the same thing, b. I never would have thought in a million years that Stephon Marbury would have not only accepted playing in China, but embraced living in China and making it his home. His story would make a really really good documentary. Unbelievable, and I mean that in the best way possible. Kudos to Starbury.

• alexb64 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Not only that but prior to going there he was basically having a full scale mental breakdown with his ustream 24/7 show & everything.

3. thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Good for him. They embraced him over there and he is able to keep making money in one of the highest populated areas in the world.

4. dls612 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Congrats Marbury!!

5. lakerluver - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Un-freaking-believable!!!

6. knightrider1755 - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Now if they would only give him a statue in front of Madison Square Garden.

7. progress2011 - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I’m truly glad to hear Starbury is successful.

This is an example of how the “Dictator in Chief / D. Stern” black-balls guys out of the league.

I’m not suggesting the competition abroad is nearly as talented as the NBA, however….Steph could EASILY start on an NBA Team. PG talent in the league is suspect, At Best !

Several other notable guys that were black-balled by the Dictator:

A.I.
    Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
    Isiah Rider

I’d put these four guys (including Marbury) against many of the current back up guards (even a few starters) in the league and I’d put my money on these guys.

• drunkenjunk - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

As much as this pains me to say, A.I was done. There was no blackballing. Good teams didn’t want him because he wasn’t gonna help or they could get someone younger. Bad teams didn’t want him because they felt he could of been a poor influnce and they could get someone younger.

8. alexb1234 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Lmaoooo “star”bury getting a statue is the equivalent of ochocinco or TO getting a statue but worse….this is comical and just made my day thanks PBT….

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches