Jordan, Magic to be presenters at Hall of Fame ceremony

Aug 29, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

Utah Jazz v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Presenters are a ceremonial part of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame induction. They don’t actually do anything, but the ceremony calls for an already enshrined Hall of Famer to stand behind the inductee as he or she speaks about being inducted.

When Phil Knight — the founder of Nike — is enshrined next Friday night Michael Jordan will stand behind him.

When Reggie Miller and Jamaal Wilkes get their turn, Magic Johnson will be behind them.

The official list of presenters is out and you will see Celtics legend Bog Cousy (behind the person accepting for the late Don Barksdale), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (behind Ralph Sampson and Wilkes) and Charles Barkley (behind Miller and Sampson).

I’d say it’s another reason to watch the induction ceremony, except they don’t speak or have any real role. But they will be there. And you can see them.

1. lastdukestreetking - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Unless you’re a huge fan of one of the inductees there is no reason to watch. Kinda odd that someone would be excited to watch MJ or Magic just stand somewhere.

2. davidly - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Eight points in eleven seconds. The Knick Killer, it’s Miller time!

• miamatt - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I brought up that moment to my sister and mother while watching a game that Miller was commenting on this past year. Come to think of it, I think it was late in some game and my mother was bemoaning the opposing coach for calling timeouts and having his team give fouls even though they were down by about eight points with 30 seconds left.

I showed them that clip on youtube, as well as “Reggie Miller versus Spike Lee.” We had a blast watching, it’s still stunning to see how quickly Miller could catch and shoot a nothing-but-net 3-pointer. I’ll always have a ton of respect for that dude. What a competitor.

• davidly - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Agreed indeed. Even if he hadn’t been such an thrill-inducing shooter, I am of the opinion that the achievement of certain milestones (like those eight points in eleven seconds) deserve Hall of Fame status; that is, for the preservation of the memory of just what can be achieved.

3. AlohaMrHand - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Will Jordan’spresentation speech be as self indulgent and as mean spirited as his hall,of fame acceptance speech?

4. gmsalpha - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I can’t wait for them to show replays of Phil Knight’s buzzer beaters. Holding up those championship trophies and tossing alley-oops. That man was a fantastic basketball player in his day!

Oh wait. He didn’t play or coach basketball, did he?

My bad.

5. foofeiter - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Who the H is Bog Cousy? Bob Cousy’s evil Twin?

6. lakerluver - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Every time I see Ralph Sampson’s name I’m reminded of arguably the worst decision ever. After his junior year Sampson decided to stay at Virginia instead of turning pro. Had he gone to the NBA that year he would’ve been a LAKER. The LAKERS instead drafted one of my all time fave LAKERS, James “Big Game” Worthy with the 1st pick. So, for Worthy and the LAKERS it worked out beautifully. But I’m almost sure Sampson would’ve had a better career had he come out that year and joined the LAKERS. Magic, Kareem and Sampson would’ve been unbelievable.

7. paulhargis53 - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

last: Don’t be so suprised, lakerluver, a late 30s man, got a hob handing out towels to the Lakers, just so he could watch them shower for 10 minutes.

lakerluver, yeah, because Sampsons knees wouldn’t have been shot after 3 years if he played for the Lakers.

You’re a dunce.

8. lakerluver - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Dude, I’m no longer going to feed your pathetic pleading for attention. You can’t post anything without including my name in it. What’s truly sad is other posters on here have even called you out for your sick obsession. This is the last reply you will get from me. Get your jolly’s off someone else you miserable, old, weird loser of a “man”.

9. paulhargis53 - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Too funny. 2 last posts to me on 2 different threads!
    I’ll consider this your concession.
    I’m not gonna stop though, I don’t really think you can stop responding. in the meantime, you’ll continue to look like a fool because you don’t have the intelligence to put me in my place.

10. asublimeday - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I think Jordan makes other players nervous. You know, being far and away an forever the GOAT?

11. asublimeday - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

——–
    Awwww it was mean-spirited? Was it self-indulgent?

I know you’re looking forward to Lebron playing bukakke with Wade and Bosh on stage, but dream on. Lebron will be frozen out of another ring by Kobe, then a collection of other superior young talent (Durant, Rose, Williams, etc)

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches