Aug 29, 2012, 2:30 AM EDT
We told you a few days ago that soon to be NBA Hall of Fame coach Don Nelson was done coaching. As in not coming back to the mainland at age 72, other than to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
But don’t think he’s slowed down.
He’s a businessman in Hawaii now, as the Associated Press reports.
These days, he’s Nellie, the entrepreneur. From his new shaved ice stand, to coffee plants and koa trees, to all his rental properties and a wedding venue in the works right off the beach, the 72-year-old Nelson is about as far removed from his old basketball life as he could be…
“I invested my fortune on Maui,” he added with a smile. “Those are the fun things I’m doing.”
Mmmm… Hawaiian shave ice… (read that out loud in your best Homer Simpson voice).
Good for Nelson, who never struck me as the kind of guy who could just spend retirement playing 18 every day then swapping stories in the country club. He needed to be more active. Not that at the end of the day he isn’t having a having a scotch while watching the sun set over Maui. You can bet he is.
Sounds like a pretty good retirement to me.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 7
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 12
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27