Aug 29, 2012, 2:30 AM EDT
We told you a few days ago that soon to be NBA Hall of Fame coach Don Nelson was done coaching. As in not coming back to the mainland at age 72, other than to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
But don’t think he’s slowed down.
He’s a businessman in Hawaii now, as the Associated Press reports.
These days, he’s Nellie, the entrepreneur. From his new shaved ice stand, to coffee plants and koa trees, to all his rental properties and a wedding venue in the works right off the beach, the 72-year-old Nelson is about as far removed from his old basketball life as he could be…
“I invested my fortune on Maui,” he added with a smile. “Those are the fun things I’m doing.”
Mmmm… Hawaiian shave ice… (read that out loud in your best Homer Simpson voice).
Good for Nelson, who never struck me as the kind of guy who could just spend retirement playing 18 every day then swapping stories in the country club. He needed to be more active. Not that at the end of the day he isn’t having a having a scotch while watching the sun set over Maui. You can bet he is.
Sounds like a pretty good retirement to me.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47