Aug 29, 2012, 2:30 AM EDT
We told you a few days ago that soon to be NBA Hall of Fame coach Don Nelson was done coaching. As in not coming back to the mainland at age 72, other than to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
But don’t think he’s slowed down.
He’s a businessman in Hawaii now, as the Associated Press reports.
These days, he’s Nellie, the entrepreneur. From his new shaved ice stand, to coffee plants and koa trees, to all his rental properties and a wedding venue in the works right off the beach, the 72-year-old Nelson is about as far removed from his old basketball life as he could be…
“I invested my fortune on Maui,” he added with a smile. “Those are the fun things I’m doing.”
Mmmm… Hawaiian shave ice… (read that out loud in your best Homer Simpson voice).
Good for Nelson, who never struck me as the kind of guy who could just spend retirement playing 18 every day then swapping stories in the country club. He needed to be more active. Not that at the end of the day he isn’t having a having a scotch while watching the sun set over Maui. You can bet he is.
Sounds like a pretty good retirement to me.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3