Aug 29, 2012, 2:30 AM EDT
We told you a few days ago that soon to be NBA Hall of Fame coach Don Nelson was done coaching. As in not coming back to the mainland at age 72, other than to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
But don’t think he’s slowed down.
He’s a businessman in Hawaii now, as the Associated Press reports.
These days, he’s Nellie, the entrepreneur. From his new shaved ice stand, to coffee plants and koa trees, to all his rental properties and a wedding venue in the works right off the beach, the 72-year-old Nelson is about as far removed from his old basketball life as he could be…
“I invested my fortune on Maui,” he added with a smile. “Those are the fun things I’m doing.”
Mmmm… Hawaiian shave ice… (read that out loud in your best Homer Simpson voice).
Good for Nelson, who never struck me as the kind of guy who could just spend retirement playing 18 every day then swapping stories in the country club. He needed to be more active. Not that at the end of the day he isn’t having a having a scotch while watching the sun set over Maui. You can bet he is.
Sounds like a pretty good retirement to me.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31