Aug 29, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
Mario Chalmers has never lacked for confidence.
That has paid off for the Kansas Jayhawks when he sank the NCAA title-winning shot. It has paid off for the Miami Heat, giving them another guy who doesn’t fear the big shot at the end of games.
But with that confidence can come the belief that you are better than you are. Bleacher Report’s Peter Emerick spoke with Chalmers at a Spaulding event and asked him about Rajon Rondo’s claim the Celtic was the best point guard in the game.
“He’s not the best, but he’s in the top five. There are a lot of great point guards in the league, Deron Williams, Chris Pauland Steve Nash. There are a lot of great guards in the NBA so for him to say he’s the best is a pretty bold statement. I’d say that I [Mario Chalmers] am in the front end of the top 10.”
I like Chalmers game more than most and I think his style and swagger work pretty well with a Heat team where he is not the guy handling the ball and creating the offense most of the time anyway. But that’s a pretty heightened view of his standing in the league.
Just off the top of my head the guys clearly on a level above Chalmers are (in no particular order): Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Kyle Lowry.
That’s 11. Which means that if you want to make an argument that Chalmers is the 12th best point guard in the NBA, I’ll listen to it. But on the front end of the top-10? Well, we like our players to think big. So go for it, Mario.
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 0
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8