Aug 29, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
Mario Chalmers has never lacked for confidence.
That has paid off for the Kansas Jayhawks when he sank the NCAA title-winning shot. It has paid off for the Miami Heat, giving them another guy who doesn’t fear the big shot at the end of games.
But with that confidence can come the belief that you are better than you are. Bleacher Report’s Peter Emerick spoke with Chalmers at a Spaulding event and asked him about Rajon Rondo’s claim the Celtic was the best point guard in the game.
“He’s not the best, but he’s in the top five. There are a lot of great point guards in the league, Deron Williams, Chris Pauland Steve Nash. There are a lot of great guards in the NBA so for him to say he’s the best is a pretty bold statement. I’d say that I [Mario Chalmers] am in the front end of the top 10.”
I like Chalmers game more than most and I think his style and swagger work pretty well with a Heat team where he is not the guy handling the ball and creating the offense most of the time anyway. But that’s a pretty heightened view of his standing in the league.
Just off the top of my head the guys clearly on a level above Chalmers are (in no particular order): Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Kyle Lowry.
That’s 11. Which means that if you want to make an argument that Chalmers is the 12th best point guard in the NBA, I’ll listen to it. But on the front end of the top-10? Well, we like our players to think big. So go for it, Mario.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 9
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31