Aug 29, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
Mario Chalmers has never lacked for confidence.
That has paid off for the Kansas Jayhawks when he sank the NCAA title-winning shot. It has paid off for the Miami Heat, giving them another guy who doesn’t fear the big shot at the end of games.
But with that confidence can come the belief that you are better than you are. Bleacher Report’s Peter Emerick spoke with Chalmers at a Spaulding event and asked him about Rajon Rondo’s claim the Celtic was the best point guard in the game.
“He’s not the best, but he’s in the top five. There are a lot of great point guards in the league, Deron Williams, Chris Pauland Steve Nash. There are a lot of great guards in the NBA so for him to say he’s the best is a pretty bold statement. I’d say that I [Mario Chalmers] am in the front end of the top 10.”
I like Chalmers game more than most and I think his style and swagger work pretty well with a Heat team where he is not the guy handling the ball and creating the offense most of the time anyway. But that’s a pretty heightened view of his standing in the league.
Just off the top of my head the guys clearly on a level above Chalmers are (in no particular order): Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Kyle Lowry.
That’s 11. Which means that if you want to make an argument that Chalmers is the 12th best point guard in the NBA, I’ll listen to it. But on the front end of the top-10? Well, we like our players to think big. So go for it, Mario.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful