Chalmers: I’m on “front end of the top 10” point guards

Aug 29, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

Mario Chalmers has never lacked for confidence.

That has paid off for the Kansas Jayhawks when he sank the NCAA title-winning shot. It has paid off for the Miami Heat, giving them another guy who doesn’t fear the big shot at the end of games.

But with that confidence can come the belief that you are better than you are. Bleacher Report’s Peter Emerick spoke with Chalmers at a Spaulding event and asked him about Rajon Rondo’s claim the Celtic was the best point guard in the game.

“He’s not the best, but he’s in the top five. There are a lot of great point guards in the league, Deron Williams, Chris Pauland Steve Nash. There are a lot of great guards in the NBA so for him to say he’s the best is a pretty bold statement. I’d say that I [Mario Chalmers] am in the front end of the top 10.”

I like Chalmers game more than most and I think his style and swagger work pretty well with a Heat team where he is not the guy handling the ball and creating the offense most of the time anyway. But that’s a pretty heightened view of his standing in the league.

Just off the top of my head the guys clearly on a level above Chalmers are (in no particular order): Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Kyle Lowry.

That’s 11. Which means that if you want to make an argument that Chalmers is the 12th best point guard in the NBA, I’ll listen to it. But on the front end of the top-10? Well, we like our players to think big. So go for it, Mario.

1. paulhargis53 - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

In related news, lakerluver said he was admiring the back end of the Lakers shooting guard.

2. cfos00 - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

If he thinks he’s one of the top point guards in the league, I wonder what he thinks of his salary versus CP3′s, Derrick Rose’s, D-Williams, etc.? He must think he’s the most underpaid guy in league history.

3. mrbiz8505 - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

He must be talking about college top 10

4. dysraw1 - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Mario is a good player who would be thought of has a better player if not for so many shadows i would say he has the tools, in his team concepts he becomes the catch an shoot guy a lot

5. cantonbound13 - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What a joke, the only reason he’s starting is because he’s cheap labor.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Well Chalmers has something in that 8 of those top 10 you listed don’t have…. a ring.

And nobody better say “thats because of LeBron” cuz you losers were hating on him too.

Only Parker & Rondo can claim a ring.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 30, 2012 at 7:26 AM

So that makes him better than or as good as: 1. Chris Paul 2. Derron Williams 3. Russel Westbrook 4. Derrick Rose 4. Steve Nash 5. Tony Parker 6. Rajon Rondo 7. Stephen Curry 8. Brandon Jennings 9. Kyrie Irving 10. Jameer Nelson 11. John Wall 12. Ricky Rubio etc…

YOU ARE EITHER AN IDIOT OR TYPICAL UNEDUCATED HEAT BANDWAGON FAN!

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Well …

momsbasementbound13

I believe everyones beef about LBJ was he didn’t have a ring right? Just saying Chalmers has a ring, beneficiary of being on a team with the best player in the world.

And if you could read my comment I never said he was better than any of them, I said he had a ring, can you read? reading comprehension isn’t a strenght of yours is it?

You can’t even read … thats sad. You responded to my comment and blasted me for something I didn’t even say? So defensive, you need therapy, maybe your “special” so I will leave you alone, make sure your helmet is on.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM

your moms cheap labor

6. progress2011 - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Dude is smoking:

1. “AVERAGE” spot up shooter
    2. Can’t get his own shot
    3. Is the beneficiary of no-one defending him, within 5 feet because they are doubling LBJ & Wade
    4. Makes no-one else better- as point guards should
    5. No handles
    6. Dikembe Mutombo will beat him in a 40 yard dash

Trade this dude, along with Mike Miller to get a couple 6’11/ 7’0″ guys:

Someone like Samuel Dalembert, Spencer Hawes (7’1″ – 245), Darryl Watkins (6’11 – 258), Alabi Solomon (7’1″ – 245), Anderson Varejao (6’11″- 260), Greg Monroe (6’11″ 260), Johan Petro (7’0″-247) , Desagana Diop (7’0″- 280 ) , Nene (6’11″- 250), Jason Thompson (6’11″- 250), Robin Lopez (7’0″- 250),
    The perfect fit would be Joakim Noah (6’11″ – 235)

• rooney24 - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’m guessing they couldn’t afford most of those guys. Plus, who would be dumb enough to trade any of them away for Miller and Chalmers? Chalmers might not be the only one smoking if you think they could land any of those guys for Miller and Chalmers.

• dlhouse18 - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

No way the Heat could get “a couple” of those guys for Miller and Chalmers let alone one. The Pistons would have to higher than a kite to trade Monroe for those scrubs. Varejao, Dalembert, Thompson, Nene, and Noah are all out of reach as well.

• progress2011 - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

So, rooney & house,

Something you should know….I research BEFORE speaking! Schools in :

Teams would be getting a young champ in Chalmers & a Veteran champ in Miller. A starter from last years champ alone makes GM’s want to consider making a deal. In most of these cases, they are trading for unproven or still developing guys. The numbers work also. These are the salaries in 2011-2012:

Chalmers- $4Mil
      Miller- 5.4Mil
      Total of 9.4 Mil

Robin Lopez- 2.8 Mil
      Greg Monroe – 3Mil
      Jason Thompson- 3Mil
      Johan Petro 3.2 Mil
      Desagana Diop- 6.9Mil
      Dalembert, Hawes, Varejao all made about 7Mil

Noah- 12 Million….so the heat would have to throw in Haslem also, who made 3.8 Mil. So, all 3 Champs from last year, for Noah.

The Heat will not be hurting (position wise) if they lose all 3 guys either, since picking up Ray(G) and Rashard Lewis(F).

School is out…you can go to recess now !

7. The Dribble Drive - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Not saying I agree with his statement because it’s not true, but he’s been very good for the Heat the past 2 years in the role of PG on paper. I enjoy watching Mario play (and watching everyone yell at him, of course).

8. tigershark49 - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Either I’m confused or Mario is…

9. mendenhallfumblemachine - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Rooney I’m fairly sure he could land Someone like Diop or Alabi, their well not very good.

10. asublimeday - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Rose was notably absent from ChalHers list. The jealousy of the country’s reverence of Derek Rose by the heat players is hilariously pathetic.

11. 21stnprime - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

we’re forgetting CP3

12. tcclark - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Mario wouldn’t even be the back up point guard on some teams. The Knicks, Pacers, Nuggets, and Hawks come to mind. I’d take Felton and Kidd, Hill and Augustin, Lawson and Miller, and Teague and Harris over Chalmers any day

13. chicagosworth - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Lol he should have said
    ” I would like to thank LeBron for my ring”

14. dlhouse18 - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Possibly the worst starter in the NBA. He’s not even the PG on his own team regardless (Lebron).

15. dlhouse18 - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Chalmers isn’t even the 30th best. There are so many backups that would start over him on any other team.

16. torontofalcon - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Chalmers a top 10 pg? Yes and the sky is yellow, and I can fly. Lets get real Mario is good but not top 10

17. wowwowbad - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:53 AM

LMAO !

18. watermelon1 - Aug 30, 2012 at 5:45 AM

He’s not even in the top 3 for point guards on his own team! Lebron and Wade say just shut up and enjoy the ride, scrub.

19. pxeeks - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Jrue Holiday too!

20. magicbucs - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Hey Kurt who’s Chris pauland?

21. bigmitch23 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

my man kyrie cant get any love?? And chalmers isnt even close to a top 20 pg.

22. suhnum1fan - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Half a season (chumps) champs

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches