Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Minnesota has one roster spot left to use and they want to give it to a big man. Specifically, a big man willing to take a minimum contract.
Which is why a Timberwolves scout was watching Hassan Whiteside and Andray Blatche work out in Houston, something reported by ESPN 1500 out of Minnesota. Both of those guys would take the minimum. Without blinking
They reportedly really like Mehmet Okur but the Turkey native has offers from his home country and is reportedly not settling for the veteran minimum. Minnesota would have to make another trade to free up space for that kind of move.
And if they did that kind of trade, they likely would spend that money on Anthony Tolliver, with whom the team continues to negotiate, according to he report.
So, somebody is going to be sitting in a chair when the music stops and get a job. That chair is at the end of the Timberwolves bench and doesn’t come with much playing time behind Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Stiemsma. But it’s a chair and a job, and that’s what these guys want. And they don’t have much leverage on salary.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10