Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Minnesota has one roster spot left to use and they want to give it to a big man. Specifically, a big man willing to take a minimum contract.
Which is why a Timberwolves scout was watching Hassan Whiteside and Andray Blatche work out in Houston, something reported by ESPN 1500 out of Minnesota. Both of those guys would take the minimum. Without blinking
They reportedly really like Mehmet Okur but the Turkey native has offers from his home country and is reportedly not settling for the veteran minimum. Minnesota would have to make another trade to free up space for that kind of move.
And if they did that kind of trade, they likely would spend that money on Anthony Tolliver, with whom the team continues to negotiate, according to he report.
So, somebody is going to be sitting in a chair when the music stops and get a job. That chair is at the end of the Timberwolves bench and doesn’t come with much playing time behind Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Stiemsma. But it’s a chair and a job, and that’s what these guys want. And they don’t have much leverage on salary.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15