Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
Minnesota has one roster spot left to use and they want to give it to a big man. Specifically, a big man willing to take a minimum contract.
Which is why a Timberwolves scout was watching Hassan Whiteside and Andray Blatche work out in Houston, something reported by ESPN 1500 out of Minnesota. Both of those guys would take the minimum. Without blinking
They reportedly really like Mehmet Okur but the Turkey native has offers from his home country and is reportedly not settling for the veteran minimum. Minnesota would have to make another trade to free up space for that kind of move.
And if they did that kind of trade, they likely would spend that money on Anthony Tolliver, with whom the team continues to negotiate, according to he report.
So, somebody is going to be sitting in a chair when the music stops and get a job. That chair is at the end of the Timberwolves bench and doesn’t come with much playing time behind Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Stiemsma. But it’s a chair and a job, and that’s what these guys want. And they don’t have much leverage on salary.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15