Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Minnesota has one roster spot left to use and they want to give it to a big man. Specifically, a big man willing to take a minimum contract.
Which is why a Timberwolves scout was watching Hassan Whiteside and Andray Blatche work out in Houston, something reported by ESPN 1500 out of Minnesota. Both of those guys would take the minimum. Without blinking
They reportedly really like Mehmet Okur but the Turkey native has offers from his home country and is reportedly not settling for the veteran minimum. Minnesota would have to make another trade to free up space for that kind of move.
And if they did that kind of trade, they likely would spend that money on Anthony Tolliver, with whom the team continues to negotiate, according to he report.
So, somebody is going to be sitting in a chair when the music stops and get a job. That chair is at the end of the Timberwolves bench and doesn’t come with much playing time behind Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Stiemsma. But it’s a chair and a job, and that’s what these guys want. And they don’t have much leverage on salary.
- Report: Jeff Hornacek has agreed to terms with Suns to become their new head coach 6
- Heat/Pacers preview: Will the real Dwyane Wade please stand up? 12
- LeBron had two key late game turnovers, Jordan would never have… oh, yes he did (VIDEO) 49
- Gregg Popovich explains benching all five starters after sluggish start to Game 3 against the Grizzlies 11
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 7
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (101)
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni (62)
- Pacers broadcaster rips Miami Heat fans, calls them ‘losers’ for leaving Game 2 early (62)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 6
- LIVE: Pacers, Heat jockey for series lead
- MST: Kanaan wins 97th Indianapolis 500
- PBT: Will the real Dwyane Wade please stand up?
- PBT: Popovich pulls all the right strings in Game 3
- Golf: Weekley wins first title since 2008 at Colonial
- Roger Clemens still dogged by NY steroids case