Aug 28, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
Dion Waiters did not impress at Summer League in Las Vegas. The No. 4 pick of the Cavaliers seemed a step slow, and going against guys who were fighting for jobs in the league (or overseas) he looked sluggish. Not ideal for the guy you drafted as an athletic slashing wing.
More than one person thought Waiters looked a little doughy, and none other than Kyrie Irving told him to show up to camp in shape and ready to rock.
“It’s different for the NBA Draft, when you don’t have to do nothing. It was a couple weeks between the draft and summer league. I still wasn’t (in game shape). But now, you see me, there’s a big difference.”
Waiters shut down workouts for teams early when he got a promise from teams, and the strategy worked as he stayed hot and kept climbing all the way to No. 4.
But to stop working out for teams and to stop working out are two different things. The fact he was not ready to go for Summer League is a red checkmark against him.
It’s a relatively meaningless one — guys that have had great Summer League’s have looked lost once training camp opens, and guys with bad Summer League runs have had great rookie campaigns. We’re just saying it is something to watch.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7