Aug 28, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
Dion Waiters did not impress at Summer League in Las Vegas. The No. 4 pick of the Cavaliers seemed a step slow, and going against guys who were fighting for jobs in the league (or overseas) he looked sluggish. Not ideal for the guy you drafted as an athletic slashing wing.
More than one person thought Waiters looked a little doughy, and none other than Kyrie Irving told him to show up to camp in shape and ready to rock.
“It’s different for the NBA Draft, when you don’t have to do nothing. It was a couple weeks between the draft and summer league. I still wasn’t (in game shape). But now, you see me, there’s a big difference.”
Waiters shut down workouts for teams early when he got a promise from teams, and the strategy worked as he stayed hot and kept climbing all the way to No. 4.
But to stop working out for teams and to stop working out are two different things. The fact he was not ready to go for Summer League is a red checkmark against him.
It’s a relatively meaningless one — guys that have had great Summer League’s have looked lost once training camp opens, and guys with bad Summer League runs have had great rookie campaigns. We’re just saying it is something to watch.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 19
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25