Aug 28, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
Dion Waiters did not impress at Summer League in Las Vegas. The No. 4 pick of the Cavaliers seemed a step slow, and going against guys who were fighting for jobs in the league (or overseas) he looked sluggish. Not ideal for the guy you drafted as an athletic slashing wing.
More than one person thought Waiters looked a little doughy, and none other than Kyrie Irving told him to show up to camp in shape and ready to rock.
“It’s different for the NBA Draft, when you don’t have to do nothing. It was a couple weeks between the draft and summer league. I still wasn’t (in game shape). But now, you see me, there’s a big difference.”
Waiters shut down workouts for teams early when he got a promise from teams, and the strategy worked as he stayed hot and kept climbing all the way to No. 4.
But to stop working out for teams and to stop working out are two different things. The fact he was not ready to go for Summer League is a red checkmark against him.
It’s a relatively meaningless one — guys that have had great Summer League’s have looked lost once training camp opens, and guys with bad Summer League runs have had great rookie campaigns. We’re just saying it is something to watch.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 5
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?