Aug 28, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
This video was obviously put together by a Kobe Bryant fan (it comes via Bleacher Report). After a shmaltzy introduction it matches Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant shot for shot. And it’s interesting.
It confirms what we already knew — that Kobe clearly patterned his game after Jordan. They like the same spots on the floor, have some of shots in their repertoire, and are both deadly scorers. Both savor the big moments.
And if you want to make the case that Kobe is a better pure scorer than Jordan, you can. It’s a valid argument to make, although Jordan’s career shooting percentages were higher.
But when you look at the advanced stats you see Jordan had the better all-around game — he got more rebounds, dished a higher percentage of assists and did so while using a higher percentage of the offense. That was always the most amazing statistics about Jordan — he kept up that crazy efficiency while using a third of his team’s possessions. You knew he would get the ball but he still made you pay.
Kobe is still one of the all-time NBA greats. He is as close to Jordan as anyone has gotten sense, and we are lucky to get to see him play. He deserves his status as icon of the game. But he is not Jordan.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23