Aug 28, 2012, 2:52 PM EST
This video was obviously put together by a Kobe Bryant fan (it comes via Bleacher Report). After a shmaltzy introduction it matches Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant shot for shot. And it’s interesting.
It confirms what we already knew — that Kobe clearly patterned his game after Jordan. They like the same spots on the floor, have some of shots in their repertoire, and are both deadly scorers. Both savor the big moments.
And if you want to make the case that Kobe is a better pure scorer than Jordan, you can. It’s a valid argument to make, although Jordan’s career shooting percentages were higher.
But when you look at the advanced stats you see Jordan had the better all-around game — he got more rebounds, dished a higher percentage of assists and did so while using a higher percentage of the offense. That was always the most amazing statistics about Jordan — he kept up that crazy efficiency while using a third of his team’s possessions. You knew he would get the ball but he still made you pay.
Kobe is still one of the all-time NBA greats. He is as close to Jordan as anyone has gotten sense, and we are lucky to get to see him play. He deserves his status as icon of the game. But he is not Jordan.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 10
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6