Rondo says he wants to be greatest Celtics point guard ever

Aug 28, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

I like that Rajon Rondo is thinking big. Like “the Celtics are my team” big.

Look what he said while in the Philippines (where he is helping at a Red Bull sponsored youth Clinic), as reported by Interaksyon.com (via SLAM).

“I hope I can end my career as the greatest point guard in the history of the Boston Celtics,” he said.

It’s lofty. Boston is a city that is prideful of its history in all forms, all the way to John Winthrop and his “city upon a hill” (which was intended in a very different way than politicians use it today).

With the Celtics that history goes back as well to their dominant era of the 1950s and ‘60s. It means Hall of Famer Bob Cousy at the point, a guard who dribbled behind the back because it was an efficient way to keep the ball away from a defender, who seems to have invented the no-look pass. Cousy revolutionized the point guard position. He is the point guard benchmark in Boston, one great players like Nate “Tiny” Archibald and Dennis Johnson tried to live up to.

Rondo can be on that list someday. He should be on that list someday. Boston needs to keep him in a few years to be the guy they build around when Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce ride off into the sunset. If he stays he should be remembered as one of the great Celtics ever, a guy with his number in the rafters.

But he is going to need more than one ring to ultimately be considered among the Boston elite. He knows it (as does KG and PP).

Still, I like that he has set his goals high. That is one of the things great players do.

1. cantonbound13 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Work on your jump shot & you may be.

• GT - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

His J improved last year, he is on the right trajectory with it now. But he has to use it more consistently in games this season to prove it. Maybe with Ray now gone, more of those shots will go to him.

2. borderline1988 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

He’s basically already there, besides Cousy. Boston has had some great forwards and centres throughout the years, but thinner with the PGs.

• skids003 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

He’s no Cousy, never will be, his attitude won’t allow it.

• jjordannba - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Just sit back and watch

3. dls612 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Not a fan, but u gotta admit if he’s not. He’s sure Damn close!

4. acdc363 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Rondo is the man.

5. dysraw1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

straight up Rondo right now this moment is the best floor general ive seen on this team. thats from JoJo White and Dennis Johnson who i include has one of their best, but if a kid asked me how to play point i would tell him watch Rajon Rondo. not jocking its truth.

6. circuscivics - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Cousy was good for his day, but couldn’t hang with Rondo if her were in his prime today. Just not the athlete that Rondo is and dosen’t poses the skill of Rondo. Also, Rondo is a PG that is not a liability on either end of the floor. Granted his Jumper is not consistent, but he creates offense. I know we are talking about a time that pre-dates the training and nutrition of today’s athletes, but Cousy was a one hand dribbler that I don’t think could hang with the elite PGs of today’s NBA. I don’t think i’ve seen any old film of him even using his off hand. We are just enamored with the old days of basket ball. Just an opinion. Can never be proved, but makes for an interesting debate.

• johnlink00 - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

While I agree with circuscivics to a certain point, I think being the ‘greatest’ also has to consider being the greatest versus everyone else at that time. So when you look at where Cousy was versus his contemporaries, and you look at where Rondo is versus HIS contemporaries, you see some separation. Rondo may not be the best point in the game right now (though I might argue he is), but Cousy was the best going away. I mean who else from the 50s even gets remembered for point guard play?
      But I love to see Rondo setting his goals high, and I’m lucky to get him watch him play every night for Boston (as long as he hasn’t gotten himself suspended for doing something dumb). I love rooting for him, and love what he provides the Celtics.

• mickeylolich1968 - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Rondo has a fire inside him within him which makes watching the games worthwhile. We should all believe in something positive with that same passion. (Well… except for that whole “throw the ball at the ref thing”. I suppose it would be good to balance the fire and passion with a little good judgement)
      Cousy was great because of the time period he played in. His skills and creativity changed how the whole notion of what a point guard could do.
      Louis Armstrong was one of the all time great American musicians not just because of how and what he preformed but because he did it first. Cousy, in a similar fashion had a tremendous influence on those who came after because he too did it first.

7. lakerluver - Aug 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

He will probably never surpass Cousy in the eyes of Celtics fans, mostly because he’ll never lead the C’s to as many titles. But I don’t recall Cousy putting up triple-doubles.

8. bozosforall - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Rondo will never be even close to Cousy…just as Garnett will never come close to Russell.

• scalfor3 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM

russells one of the top 5-6 players of all time. thats like saying kobe sucks cause he’s not mj

• bozosforall - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Never said that anyone “sucked” in my previous post. But thanks for the typical Boston crybaby whiny response. Nice to see Boston fan insecurity alive and well again in the sports world.

• passerby23 - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I find it odd that you, a guy who claims to be “busy” all the time, goes out of his way to hunt down and insult Celtics fans. When a claim is rebutted, somehow it’s always a “crybaby whiny response” when that is in fact exactly how YOU respond. I didn’t see anything whiny in what scalfor3 said.

Secondly, Rondo WILL be in the conversation with Cousy if he finishes his career with the Celtics. Will he surpass him? At this point I would say no. I think he’ll surpass Dennis Johnson and I don’t think he needs more rings to do it, although that would certainly help his cause.

And yes, Bill Russell is considered one of the top 5 players of all-time (Kareem says he’s the best ever), so no, KG will not be considered better. So what? KG will go down as a top 5 PF of all-time. That’s pretty damn good. Even in his limited time in Boston, he’ll go down as an all-time Celtic great.

• bozosforall - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Rondo will never top Cousy. And your continued responses only further validate my characterization of Boston fans as whiny crybabies.

9. bcgreg - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Rondo is the best PG in the league right now. Paul and D Williams get more love ONLY because they can shoot better, but what is a PG supposed to do? Pass, defend, and lead. He does these 3 things better than the other two mentioned. He can score too. His FG% is higher than Paul’s and Williams’. He just does it a different way. On top of that, he’s the best rebounding PG in the league. Not greatly important, but still an asset. I would venture to say that Rondo is also the most exciting player at his position. I have not mentioned Derrick Rose here because I don’t think he’s a PG per se. He’s more of a 1-2 more than any of these guys. But, Rose is the best player out of these guys for sure. All 4 are real good. But pure PG? Rondo is better. But that’s just my opinion.

As far as being the best in Celtic history? That’s a tough call. He’ll have to make a few ore all star games and maybe win another ring or two, but if the debate winds up being between him, Cousy, and DJ? Then that’s pretty damn good.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:45 AM

You really think part of a point guard’s job is not to shoot, not to score? Really?

And for the record, CP3 is every bit the passer and a better controller of the game Rondo is.

10. nanamarilyn - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Rondo ROCKS and is already legendary in my opinion…whatever he does in the next few years I pray he does it GREEN and in Boston….He’s AMAZING !!!!

11. emosnar - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Rondo is hands down the best point guard playing in the league right now. All those other guards are just best on due to popularity. What has [paul won, what has D Will won? they are great talents, but i would even take westbrook over both of them dudes. i would take Rondo to lead my team over them in a heart beat and I’ve never set foot in the city of Boston. His poor shooting is way over blown. the kid does it all on both ends of the court. his previous bad attitude which can also be just awesomeness leaking out is the reason most of the media and you freaks snub him. Every time he plays, he gets more and more of his respect back. Rondo would eat Cousy for lunch. Make him change out of those nut-huggers. Quit holding on to this old black and white relic images. Those dude can’t hold a candle to today’s athletes most of you only heard about how good those guys were. Respect today’s athlete.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches