Aug 28, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Minnesota could be a playoff team this year, maybe should be. They have Kevin Love in the middle as the anchor, and this summer they added some guys who potentially really lift the franchise in Brandon Roy and Andrei Kirilenko.
But ultimately, Minnesota’s playoff chances come back to Ricky Rubio — the young Spanish center drives the Timberwolves offense. They need him.
When asked how Rubio was doing on his recover from ACL surgery by the Pioneer-Press, Minnesota GM David Kahn skirted the line between positive and non-committal, saying there was no timetable on his return.
Kahn said point guard Ricky Rubio’s rehabilitation from knee surgery “is proceeding well.” Rubio’s knee will be examined in the coming days in Vail, Colo., and he’s expected in Minneapolis within three weeks.
While the original prognosis was for Rubio to return in January don’t be shocked if it is a little earlier, around Christmas. How much the team pushes Rubio may depend on what they get out of Roy and Luke Ridnour. Minnesota really wants to make the playoffs.
But they need to think long term. Like Derrick Rose in Chicago, there is no reason to rush your star point guard back from injury for a January game when what really matters is what he can bring you in the coming years.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'