Aug 28, 2012, 3:16 AM EST
Brian Scalabrine is likely going to be back with Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls next season, just not as a player.
Scalabrine is close to becoming a Bulls assistant coach, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
According to sources familiar with the situation, the fan favorite is in line to join Tom Thibodeau’s coaching staff for the upcoming season, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Since former Bulls assistant coach Rick Brunson departed for a position with the Charlotte Bobcats in the offseason, the organization has had an opening and while the likes of former Magic assistant Steve Clifford was considered–the member of Stan Van Gundy’s staff in Orlando recently accepted a job with the Lakers, where he’ll be reunited with All-Star center Dwight Howard–it appears that Scalabrine is now a front-runner for the spot.
Scalabrine has said he wants to continue playing, but that ship may have sailed. Teams are rounding out their rosters, including the Bulls, and Scalabrine’s phone is not exactly ringing. It’s not easy to accept, but it may be time to walk away.
And Thibodeau likes him as a coach and leader — he pushed for Bulls management to bring Scalabrine to Chicago from Boston was so he could have another voice that knows his defense and could teach it to a new team. Scalabrine is a player who has learned what it takes to be a professional in the league and can pass that on.
Scalabrine would instantly become the most popular assistant with the fans in Chicago.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6