Aug 28, 2012, 3:16 AM EST
Brian Scalabrine is likely going to be back with Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls next season, just not as a player.
Scalabrine is close to becoming a Bulls assistant coach, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
According to sources familiar with the situation, the fan favorite is in line to join Tom Thibodeau’s coaching staff for the upcoming season, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Since former Bulls assistant coach Rick Brunson departed for a position with the Charlotte Bobcats in the offseason, the organization has had an opening and while the likes of former Magic assistant Steve Clifford was considered–the member of Stan Van Gundy’s staff in Orlando recently accepted a job with the Lakers, where he’ll be reunited with All-Star center Dwight Howard–it appears that Scalabrine is now a front-runner for the spot.
Scalabrine has said he wants to continue playing, but that ship may have sailed. Teams are rounding out their rosters, including the Bulls, and Scalabrine’s phone is not exactly ringing. It’s not easy to accept, but it may be time to walk away.
And Thibodeau likes him as a coach and leader — he pushed for Bulls management to bring Scalabrine to Chicago from Boston was so he could have another voice that knows his defense and could teach it to a new team. Scalabrine is a player who has learned what it takes to be a professional in the league and can pass that on.
Scalabrine would instantly become the most popular assistant with the fans in Chicago.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)