Aug 28, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Pistons center Greg Monroe was a high school sophomore in New Orleans when hurricane Katrina hit and decimated that city. His family decided the night before to get out of town and left with a full car at 3 a.m. headed to Houston.
He and his family survived, but it forever changed his life. Like many they struggled to make a new home but they survived. Which is more than happened to more than 1,800 others.
So with hurricane Isaac gaining power and heading to the Gulf Coast, Monroe is watching it closely, he told the Pistons’ Web site.
“After going through Katrina and just having to pay attention to it your whole life, every time one starts to form and all the news stations start to track it, you pay attention,” Monroe said Monday morning. “It’s something that you have to worry about. But you try to stay calm and get as many facts as you can, get to a safe place if you need to…
“People are more conscientious (now),” Monroe said. “People aren’t going to be – for lack of a better term – as hard-headed. They had a lot of people who just didn’t listen, who stuck it out with Katrina, and that made for more of a crisis. After experiencing that, a lot more people are going to leave. After going through something that big and that horrific, I think people will learn their lesson and understand how much can really happen during a hurricane.”
Monroe’s family is back in the area and he has a cousin in college in Mobile, Ala. He is watching this storm and thinking of family while working out at the Pistons facilities. He is worried about them, but also about everyone on the Gulf Coast.
Let us all hope the damage — to people and property — is far less this time.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11