Mike Miller back in the gym, gearing up for Heat season

Aug 28, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

Last July, a lot of people expected the Miami Heat to amnesty Mike Miller. Despite his stellar shooting in Game 5 of the finals, his body had largely given out on him. It would be easier to list the body parts on Miller that were not injured. Hobbling would be a good way to describe him on the court.

But the Heat didn’t amnesty him, they kept Miller. Because Pat Riley said they would.

So while the Heat added sharpshooters in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis, Miller tweets he is working to get back on the court following off-season surgery.

Gr8week being back in the gym FINALLY Way 2long of a layoff slowlybutsurely feelN better Feels good getting ready 4 another year #LETITFLY

We will see if Miller ever actually gets on the court.

Mike Miller not only will make $5.8 million this season, he is on for $6.2 million next year and has a player option for $6.6 million the year after that. If you think he’s going to just retire after this season and walk away from $12.8 million… well, would you do that? If you just said “yes,” I’d like to thank you for reading this blog, Mr. Gates.

As the Heat deal with a large payroll they may have to revisit the amnesty of Mike Miller. Just not now.

1. miamatt - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Unless PBT has sources to the contrary, I believe this post is in error referring to Miller having off-season surgery. After the Finals, Mike Miller had stated on the record that if his doctor recommended surgery, then he would choose to retire. I didn’t believe he would walk away from $13 million under any circumstances either, but it was widely reported that Miller’s doctor recommended rest followed by rehab, in lieu of surgery.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Mike Miller did NOT have surgery.

You are correct.

He elected for rehab.

2. 00maltliquor - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

A possible 18.6 million in 3 years to Mike Millions when you’ve got the second highest payroll in the L and your teams two best players play his positions AND your two best bench players ALSO play his same positions…um…what’s taking so long with the amnesty, Heat?

That great shooting night and heroics that Finals game saved his a$$, at least for one more paying season. Can’t see them keeping him beyond that when you’ve got LBJ, DWade, Jesus Shuttlesworth, Shane Battier and a just as good if not better shooter and much, much cheaper James Jones on the team…AND Rashard Lewis who’s a natural SF anyways, even though he’ll be playing out of position like always at PF there too to take up the minutes. MM is just kind of redundant at this point and for the pricetag, why MIA…why?

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

“A possible 18.6 million in 3 years to Mike Millions when you’ve got the second highest payroll in the L”

Team payrolls:
      1 LA Lakers – $99,140,731
      2 Brooklyn- $84,486,162
      3. Heat – $82,629,170

“your teams two best players play his positions”
      …Even star players need backups. It’s called “depth.”

“AND your two best bench players ALSO play his same positions”
      Again, what’s wrong with depth?

“…um…what’s taking so long with the amnesty, Heat?”
      Because amnestying Mike would ease the luxury tax burden but wouldn’t allow them to sign players for anything more than the veteran’s minimum – which is the exact same situation they’re currently in.

It’s not like the NFL salary cap, where if you cut one player, you can use his salary on someone else – read up on the NBA salary cap.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Absolutly nothing is wrong with depth, nothing at all, but when that pricetag is that of Miller’s when they have all those other guys I mentioned, why bother? That luxary tax is a beeyotch to pay for someone who probably won’t see the light of day off the bench.

And okay, it’s spliting hairs about the team salary thing but you got me. I knew I was wrong when I typed it but I didn’t take the time to think about BK having that monsterous payroll. I was rushing. 2nd, 3rd, less then 2 mill. between 2 and 3, same shit.

Point is, nothing is wrong with depth, but depth where it’s not really needed is not neccessary when the team only gots 2 natural PG’s and 3 C’s not worth a damn and 1 roster spot open. But hey, keep MM and his contract, pay the luxuary tax and let him rot on the bench like a 3 month old jack-o-lantern when he can be free and get some burn elsewhere while other pressing needs can be addressed. I could care less. As long as the Heat are in the Finals against my LA Lakers so I can FINALLY get my Kobe/LeBron Finals matchup that I’ve been waiting oooh sooo long to see then so be it.

And yes, I’m very well aware of how the NBA salary cap and new CBA works.

3. bougin89 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Mike Miller was epic in game 5 but please, enough with the injuries. I don’t doubt he was injured but it was pretty clear he grossly exaggerated his injuries. He hobbled around when it was convenient. I wouldn’t doubt most players are exhausted/have injuries by the time they reach the finals but Miller was maybe the only player openly exaggerating them. This isn’t the first year he’s done it either, he’s been “battling” injuries the last few years and the media makes him out to be some sort of warrior when he’s far from it.

• dls612 - Aug 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Normally when a player fake an injury its normal because they no longer want to be with that team. Why in the hell would Any player exaggerate an injury knowing ur on a great team , Have a chance to win a title and a opportunity to play!

• bougin89 - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

re-read what I wrote. ” I don’t doubt he was injured but it was pretty clear he grossly exaggerated his injuries”

I believe he was injured. I don’t think he needed to act like he could barely walk one moment but then suddenly sprint/get down and play defense the next moment.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lol.

Mike Miller is being treated by a neurosurgeon for a “fake back injury,” that limited his minutes severely throughout the regular season and playoffs.

Right, great call, “amateur doctor.”

• bougin89 - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

and again…

4. prestigious1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

He’ll get the amnesty before seasons end.

• bougin89 - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I don’t believe he can be amnestied anymore this season.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Why do so many NBA fans not understand how amnesty works?

There was a deadline.
      The deadline passed with Pat Riley saying they weren’t going to amnesty anyone.
      Amnestying Mike wouldn’t allow the Heat to sign any players for more than the veteran’s minimum, which they can do WITH Mike on the roster.

If you want to play armchair GM, at least read the rules of the salary cap, specifically spending exceptions for teams over the luxury tax line (the situation the Heat is in).

5. progress2011 - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Get him healthy (healthy as possible in his case)…………THEN TRADE HIM !!!

Get someone like Samuel Dalembert, Spencer Hawes (7’1″ – 245), Darryl Watkins (6’11 – 258), Alabi Solomon (7’1″ – 245), Anderson Varejao (6’11″- 260), Greg Monroe (6’11″ 260), Johan Petro (7’0″-247) , Desagana Diop (7’0″- 280 ) , Nene (6’11″- 250), Jason Thompson (6’11″- 250), Robin Lopez (7’0″- 250),
    The perfect fit would be Joakim Noah (6’11″ – 235)

The Heat could probably get two or three of these 6’11″ type guys for Mike Miller !!!

They have Ray, Shane, Chalmers, Rashard Lewis & James Jones, they got enough spot up shooters…..Dude Gotta GO !!!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures