Aug 28, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
When people — and by people we mean guys like Kevin Durant and Chris Bosh — say the Lakers have the best roster “on paper” they are saying it’s one thing to have talent on the roster and it’s another thing to make it work in games.
But before we know if the Lakers can make it work, they have to get all the talent on the court together. And we don’t know when that is going to happen.
Our man Mike Trudell of Lakers.com put together an update on when players are going to be working out at the team facility (Metta World Peace already is) and on the subject of Dwight Howard the news is there is no news.
Dwight Howard is currently doing his therapy/rehabilitation from back surgery at a facility in the Westwood/Century City area of L.A. At some point, he will transition over to working with Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti, the team’s head physical therapist Dr. Judy Seto and the rest of Vitti’s staff (a time has not yet been set). Lakers spokesman John Black said Howard will not be doing any basketball/weight workouts until he’s cleared medically, and that there is no target date for any of that at this point.
At his introductory press conference Howard said it was possible he’d miss the start of the season. Sure sounds like it here.
It is going to take a little time for the Lakers stars to adjust to each other and the hybrid Princeton offense the team will run. How does Steve Nash run the offense, will Kobe work more off the ball, how does Pau Gasol fit in the offense? All of which likely means a slower start than some of the other elite teams and an adjustment period whenever Howard does arrive.
But for the Lakers it’s not about the start. It’s about how they are playing in March, April and beyond.
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 0
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22