Aug 28, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Before back and Achilles injuries sidelined him, Spencer Hawes was the key to the Sixers offense last season. It wasn’t about the points, it was his passing that got the ball moving side-to-side against the defense and created good looks for others. Without him the offense stagnated some, he was not the same player upon his return and the Sixers finished with the 20th best offense in the league in points per possession.
This season, coach Doug Collins again sees Hawes as a key to the Philadelphia offense again, just in a different role.
“I want (Hawes) to play the Pau Gasol role with Bynum,” Collins said. “Both (Hawes and Gasol) like to play out on the perimeter because they can shoot the ball and are very good passers.”
I like Hawes but lets be clear, on a good day he is a poor man’s Gasol. He is not as skilled.
It’s a good plan, I’m just not as convinced as many that Philly made that big a leap by getting Bynum. At least in the short term. I need to be convinced that Bynum can handle the load as the focus of a team — can he pass out of the coming double teams better than he has before? Can he bring defensive focus every night and not just sometimes? Can Hawes really step into a Gasol role? Can Evan Turner make the next step forward? Same with Jrue Holiday?
There is potential in Philly and that brings hope to a clearly excited fan base. It’s going to be a fun season in the City of Brotherly Love. And if Spencer Hawes really can be a poor man’s Pau Gasol this season, they will take a nice step forward toward that potential.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 8
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 11
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay