Aug 28, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Before back and Achilles injuries sidelined him, Spencer Hawes was the key to the Sixers offense last season. It wasn’t about the points, it was his passing that got the ball moving side-to-side against the defense and created good looks for others. Without him the offense stagnated some, he was not the same player upon his return and the Sixers finished with the 20th best offense in the league in points per possession.
This season, coach Doug Collins again sees Hawes as a key to the Philadelphia offense again, just in a different role.
“I want (Hawes) to play the Pau Gasol role with Bynum,” Collins said. “Both (Hawes and Gasol) like to play out on the perimeter because they can shoot the ball and are very good passers.”
I like Hawes but lets be clear, on a good day he is a poor man’s Gasol. He is not as skilled.
It’s a good plan, I’m just not as convinced as many that Philly made that big a leap by getting Bynum. At least in the short term. I need to be convinced that Bynum can handle the load as the focus of a team — can he pass out of the coming double teams better than he has before? Can he bring defensive focus every night and not just sometimes? Can Hawes really step into a Gasol role? Can Evan Turner make the next step forward? Same with Jrue Holiday?
There is potential in Philly and that brings hope to a clearly excited fan base. It’s going to be a fun season in the City of Brotherly Love. And if Spencer Hawes really can be a poor man’s Pau Gasol this season, they will take a nice step forward toward that potential.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18