Smack talking Kobe called Lakers getting Dwight Howard

Aug 27, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant of the US looks on during an Getty Images

Kobe Bryant has said that he thought it was his job, as the veteran voice of Team USA heading into London, to loosen up the guys and get them to relax around each other.

To Kobe, that means talking smack. To everyone. Get their juices flowing.

What did he say? Well, you can be sure we couldn’t reprint most of it on a family-friendly website such as this.

But we learned a few things from Kevin Durant in his interview with Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.

“Kobe called that a month before it happened,” Durant told Yahoo! Sports while promoting his new movie “Thunderstruck.”

“I didn’t believe him. He was just like, ‘We are going to have Dwight. We are going to have Steve Nash.’ He just talks a lot of trash, jokes and laughs. But he said it. I don’t think anyone paid attention to it but me and him. He said it and it happened. And they got better, a lot better.

“Dwight’s name was being thrown on every team. Houston, Brooklyn, the Lakers. But I guess he called it right.”

That is just so Kobe.

He was going to do the talking, even if they were not going to get Howard. But they did. And so now Kobe can run some “I told you so” smack.

And you can be certain he will. Plenty of it.

1. papichulo55 - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Got to respect his knowledge of what it takes to get a Ring. Only time will tell if he is trying to gain an advantage with his trash talking, or, that he truly believe that they can win a Ring next June. Again, Kobe knows exactly how much basketball needs to be played to get to the Finals. Good Luck, Kobe!

2. lakerluver - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM

You ain’t hard nothing yet, just wait until he wins his 6th and 7th rings!!!

3. rodge1 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Yes, totally agree. Kobe has a lot of knowledge of how to win a ring by demanding the team add better players or threatening trade request(s).

• cosanostra71 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Well, seems like that tactic has worked pretty well to me.

4. jagwar73 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Got to love the NBA’s competitive balance. It’s even worse than baseball now. How many teams actually have a chance of winning the title, maybe four or five? Actually it’s only three: Miami, Los Angeles Lakers, and Oklahoma City. What a joke! I have to say I’m pulling for the Thunder and their “home grown” talent.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM

And this is different than the past how? In the 90s, how many teams had a real, legitimate shot at the title ever year? In the late 90s, Chicago, Utah, Seattle (maybe), New York (maybe)? In the early 90s, Chicago, Phoenix, Lakers (for a year), Houston? In all of the 80s, there weren’t really any real contenders outside of Lakers, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit and maybe Houston?

Basketball, more than any other sport, can be dramatically impacted by an individual. If you have LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone on your team… you’re going to be a title contender, every year. Those players can literally change the outcome of the game. You can’t do that in other sports. In baseball, you could have a player hit 50 home runs two years in a row and still be on a losing team (Jose Bautista). In basketball, if you have a player that has that much impact, you’re going to win… a lot. If you don’t like that, maybe you’re watching the wrong sport.

• drunkenjunk - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Just look at the 2011 Mavs. Nobody had them winning it going into the season or going into the playoffs.

• denimourson - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Different game, different animal.

5. paulhargis53 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Who would know better than Lakersucker when it comes to Kobe and hard?

Your love for large black men has officially crossed over into ick territory.

6. rodge1 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@cosanostra71
    I agree, it has worked quite well for Kobe. That’s what makes Kobe so uniquely great as a player. I mean just look how good the Lakers have done the past 2 seasons. It’s that killer instinct of his that brought a team with Bynum & Gasol starting to the 2nd round of the playoffs just to be embarrassed by OKC. I wish I had an aging/overpaid Kobe on my team to take up salary and talk smack about it.

7. lakerluver - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

@paulhargis53, good one! I see you’ve been working on your material. But you should’ve said “my love for big black men who wear PURPLE AND GOLD”. Moron!!!

8. paulhargis53 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Oooof. You are one weird individual.

On another note, Fish.in. a. barrel.

You just can’t not answer, can you?
    What a weak mind person. I’ve told you what my M.O. is, yet you can’t help yourself. And you’re calling me a moron?

That’s ok, I enjoy helping you look stupid, not that you need much help….

• lakerdownunder - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

dude, you are obsessed with lakerluver. You need to get out a bit more…actually LOT more

9. lakerluver - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Dude, you must be one pathetically miserable, lonely individual. I feel bad for you. You never talk sports. It’s obvious that you know very little about them. You’re “act” is old and tired. Sorta like yourself.

10. diehardcard - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Of course Kobe knew. This was the league plan all along. Why do you think Phx made no effort to trade Nash at the deadline, then suddenly decides he’s not in their future and sign and trade him to LA? Why do you think the Lakers traded Odom for nothing (they just lucked out that Odom’s a head case who imploded after the trade, 2010/2011 Odom was worth way more than the Mavs gave for him)? It’s because the league plan all along was to get Nash to LA but they couldn’t do it mid-season because Suns fans would freak. It would have been a PR nightmare. So they waited until summer, came up with the “I just wanna be near my kids” line, and the “well at least the Suns got something for Nash, we should be grateful” line (when they probably could have had more at the deadline) to dupe the fans.

It was a foregone conclusion that Howard was going to LA. The only thing that kept Howard from going sooner was they couldn’t convince him to follow Shaq’s career path. As soon as they did, deal was done.

11. paulhargis53 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Yet you jeep coming back for more, don’t you idiot? I tried talking basketball with you, you don’t want to hear anyone’s take unless it agrees with your ignorant viewpoint. You’re an over the top homer and you give all good Lakers fans a bad name.
    You disgust me, and that’s why I continue to dig at you. It’s fun for me. It takes all i
    of 2 minutes to throw a few shots at you.

If it makes you feel better to THINK my life sucks, who cares? I KNOW yours does. Anyone that is as die hard of a fanatic about sports as you, has a definite hole in their life.

12. lakerluver - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Only a miserable, empty person with no joy in their life would find it necessary to “attempt” to antagonize someone else. I feel bad for you, my friend. You’re not antagonizing me, I’m a happy man. You’re antagonizing yourself. Sadly, you don’t even realize it.

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

My “attempts” seem to be doing the trick.
    You can’t seem to keep from commenting back. Keep telling yourself your happy. Anyone can see from your incessant posts on here that you have nothing in your life but the Lakers. Being in your late 30s and being this infatuated with a sports team is nothing short of pathetic.

I’m not getting to you, I’ve got to you.

What does it say about you that I’ve told you what I’m up to, yet you keep coming back for more? In the meantime, your focus is on me and I’m sparing the rest of the posters from your inane, non objective, homeristic blathering.
    It’s too easy. You’re too dumb to figure it out. You aren’t even talking about the subject anymore. I run circles around you everytime you try to verbally spar with me. Your lame retorts are making you the joke of this site.Well, moreso. Your lack of knowledge accomplished that a long time ago…

• lakerdownunder - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Here’s a thought, why don’t the two of you exchange email addresses and then you can go back and forth directly rather than clogging up this blog with your childish behaviour.

14. proballerslounge - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM

15. omniusprime - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Kobe will get to talk some more smack after he wins his sixth ring this coming June. Durant will wish he was a Laker instead of a Blunder.

16. paulhargis53 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

You see lakerluver, even your own fellow fans are tired of your bs. I get you so far off track from the,subject at hand…..

You’re so easy to lead and you just keep taking the bait…..

You are one sad sack of a simple minded moron.

17. manchestermiracle - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

C’mon, Kurt, why don’t you tell us how much you really hate Bryant?

18. mspille02 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Paulhargis53, buddy, you gotta stop man. Just look at the thumbs up and down next to your comments for an idea of how you’re being received. What happy, well-adjusted person spends this much time and that many words trying to make someone else feel bad? Or are you trying to demonstrate how smart you are? You have to realize all of the back and forth takes place in front of all of the community, right? So you either think we care that you hate a guy who dissed you, or you don’t care if you clog the board. Kinda make you seem like someone who goes to the comments section of websites and stirs up controversy just to do it. Is there a name for that?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches