Report: Kareem’s getting his statue

Aug 27, 2012, 9:31 PM EST

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar AP

Turns out it doesn’t matter how much of a pain you are if you’re the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer and one of the best players to ever step on the floor for the best franchise in basketball.

The Los Angeles Times reports:

The Lakers plan to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar outside Staples Center during the 2012-13 season, The Times has learned.

No date for unveiling the statue has been finalized.

via Lakers will unveil statue of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar during season – latimes.com.

Abdul-Jabbar had made a huge fuss over the fact that a statue had not already been erected at Staples, after Jerry West’s was unveiled last year. Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya and hockey’s Wayne Gretzky also have statues at the arena, along with Magic Johnson. It’s a pretty fitting case study of where Abdul-Jabbar stands in the NBA’s historical hierarchy. The point guard with the big smile who played center for him, hockey’s greatest player ever, De La Hoya and West, who was an architect in management as well as on the floor for the franchise, but also a noted high maintenance individual, all received statues before the best scorer in NBA history.

The statue has to be of him in the skyhook, right? I mean, that’s the only option. Besides this, Shirley. The skyhook stands as one of the greatest basketball moves ever created, if nothing else for its simplicity. I’m taller than you so I’m going to shoot with my huge arm as high as it can go. Easy.

There was nothing easy with dealing with Kareem, if you accept many of the things that have been written about “Cap,” but it looks like this project’s finally getting done.

(PS: I hope to one day have been good enough at  anything to demand a statue. Who does that? Honestly?)

1. rjlink1 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Long overdue, but it is hilarious that he complained about not having a statue built for him.

2. starvingardens - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Finally!

3. fordmandalay - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Totally deserved. Congratulations to Kareem and the Lakers!

4. paulhargis53 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This should have been done long ago, prickly personality or not. KAJ should have had his statue before Magic.

5. censoredpost - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

It’s about Damn time. I have never seen such BS towards a guy. He would be a coach if he never talked about burning one down (puff puff pass.). Criminal. They should make his statue twice as tall.

6. muhangis - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Thanks Kareem,

Laker fan

7. ebrownwareagle - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

ADOUT DAMN TIME!!!

8. cosanostra71 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

his contributions to shaping Bynum are worth mentioning too! If only Drew had been committed to learning more! Thanks for being a true Laker KAJ! Come teach Dwight some stuff please!

9. tcclark - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Definitely worthy, but less worthy when you ask for it. A statue is pretty much a thank you, and you should never go looking for a thank you. It is well deserved, but I wish he had gone about it a different way

• urodaddy07 - Aug 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Well said. Very classless to actually ask for a statue. I’ve lost some of my respect for him.

10. fordmandalay - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, can Kareem teach Dwight the Sky-hook?

11. muir6 - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Maybe if bitter little sports writers just reported and kept there personal opinions to themselves they could have mini statues. If you saw him play you would know that he deserves accolades for his game. I know the press just wants there black men to dunk and be quiet, but Kareem was and is his own man

12. philly4lyfe - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Dont give this sucka no statue. Give him guts!

13. romoscollarbone - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I’d put the player formerly named Lew Alcindor….on the plaque.

• cramsinned - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Lew Alcindor was the real name of KAJ

14. asublimeday - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Wow. “Best franchise in basketball.” Don’t let your biases show or anything…

• paleihe - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It’s not a biased opinion, it’s fact. The Lakers are the best franchise in basketball, and it’s not even close.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I’m pretty sure you’re lying!

15. reebs33 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

No-brainer. This coming from a Celtics fan who despises the Lakers.

16. timb12 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Statues aren’t permanent. Ask JoePa.

• money2long - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM

tried calling his phone. he didn’t answer.

17. namriverrat69 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

It is going to get crowded out there in a few years when Kobe retires. Maybe Wilt will get one too! Then when Griffin retires along with CP3.

As much as I like the Lakers and Kareem, I don’t think Kareem should be there. The sports figures who super excel in their sport and are also a huge asset to their communities should both be criteria for a statue. Kareen does not qualify in both categories. Kobe doesn’t really either.

One guy who does, who was a great player, loved by his teammates, spent most of his career in LA and was a huge asset supporting people in the LA community is Luc Robitaille. If you are giving one to Kareem, then Luc definitely deserves to be there too.

18. namriverrat69 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Then again, why not Jerry Buss and Phil Jackson too.

19. namriverrat69 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

If you get enough statues out there the fans can play chess.

20. 00maltliquor - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

IDK how it took so long to put up a statue of the NBA’s most prolific scorer up but it’s about damn time. Just wish he wouldn’t have made such a stink about it, it’s a bad look.

Kareem was my very first favorite NBA player. Wierd story: I remember when I was a 5 year old kid I used to eat Cream of Wheat soley because I thought it was Kareem of Wheat, even though I didn’t very much care for the taste of it.

PS- Hey Matt, don’t forget about the Chick Hearn statue too! (That’s my favorite one!)

• jimeejohnson - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

How did you come to like malt liquor?

21. ditkasausagebears - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:14 AM

well it most surely will not be for spelling or grammar kurt

• mytthor - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM

*Well, it most surely will not be for spelling or grammar, Kurt.

22. tombstone7 - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Don’t 4get that Lew Alcindor and Oscar “Big O”” gave The M-Bucks their last NBA Championship!…..Kareem was the last socially-Astute and politically conscience athlete of him times that Actually believed in,Social Justice…..unlike the scared Lebrons, &..CONGRATS KAJ!

• 618t - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM

You do know Lebron put on a hoodie with Miami Heat teammates as a show of support for Trayvon Martin. MJ bless his heart when asked about his feelings concerning the LA riots told a reporter ” I need to study the situation before I can comment”. How’s that for being socially astute.

23. xrizz - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Reblogged this on xrizz's Blog and commented:
    Kareem deserves to have a statue.Right along with Magic and Chicky baby.

24. congocash - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Maybe kareem whined about not having a statue because bynum stopped listening to him on the fundamentals… I aint gonna learn the drop step old man… U dont even have a statue yet….

25. nokoolaidcowboy - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You’re Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Roger Murdock: I’m sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I’m the co-pilot.
    Joey: You are Kareem! I’ve seen you play. My dad’s got season tickets.
    Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?
    Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he’s not bothering anyone, let him stay here.
    Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is…
    [showing his nametag]
    Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I’m an airline pilot.
    Joey: I think you’re the greatest, but my dad says you don’t work hard enough on defense.
    [Kareem’s getting mad]
    Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don’t even run down court. And that you don’t really try… except during the playoffs.
    Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don’t! LISTEN KID! I’ve been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I’m out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches