Aug 27, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
Turns out it doesn’t matter how much of a pain you are if you’re the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer and one of the best players to ever step on the floor for the best franchise in basketball.
The Los Angeles Times reports:
The Lakers plan to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar outside Staples Center during the 2012-13 season, The Times has learned.
No date for unveiling the statue has been finalized.
Abdul-Jabbar had made a huge fuss over the fact that a statue had not already been erected at Staples, after Jerry West’s was unveiled last year. Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya and hockey’s Wayne Gretzky also have statues at the arena, along with Magic Johnson. It’s a pretty fitting case study of where Abdul-Jabbar stands in the NBA’s historical hierarchy. The point guard with the big smile who played center for him, hockey’s greatest player ever, De La Hoya and West, who was an architect in management as well as on the floor for the franchise, but also a noted high maintenance individual, all received statues before the best scorer in NBA history.
The statue has to be of him in the skyhook, right? I mean, that’s the only option. Besides this, Shirley. The skyhook stands as one of the greatest basketball moves ever created, if nothing else for its simplicity. I’m taller than you so I’m going to shoot with my huge arm as high as it can go. Easy.
There was nothing easy with dealing with Kareem, if you accept many of the things that have been written about “Cap,” but it looks like this project’s finally getting done.
(PS: I hope to one day have been good enough at anything to demand a statue. Who does that? Honestly?)
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 10
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 15
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 19