Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Ah, the six weeks before training camps open is when optimism reigns. Every rookie looks like the rookie of the year, every injury is healing well, every player has worked on his game and will come back to camp playing his best.
With that in mind, we bring you this note from Pistons.com (via the Detroit Free Press), who spoke to center Greg Monroe. The Pistons anchor in the middle has been working out in Las Vegas with teammate and rookie Andre Drummond and had this to say.
“He had a great week out there. He was definitely a beast on the boards. He was working hard, getting a lot of second shots for our team, separating himself from other guys. He worked hard the whole week.”
Physical skill was never the question with Drummond. There are scouts that thought he could be the second best player in this draft eventually (Anthony Davis was everybody’s No. 1). The question was focus, desire, it was in his head. If he brings it every night he could be a force as a big man in the league, he has the body and skills. But if he doesn’t he will fade away.
Right now, optimism reigns. As it should. And we’re not going to puncture that bubble; only Drummond himself will do that.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18