Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Ah, the six weeks before training camps open is when optimism reigns. Every rookie looks like the rookie of the year, every injury is healing well, every player has worked on his game and will come back to camp playing his best.
With that in mind, we bring you this note from Pistons.com (via the Detroit Free Press), who spoke to center Greg Monroe. The Pistons anchor in the middle has been working out in Las Vegas with teammate and rookie Andre Drummond and had this to say.
“He had a great week out there. He was definitely a beast on the boards. He was working hard, getting a lot of second shots for our team, separating himself from other guys. He worked hard the whole week.”
Physical skill was never the question with Drummond. There are scouts that thought he could be the second best player in this draft eventually (Anthony Davis was everybody’s No. 1). The question was focus, desire, it was in his head. If he brings it every night he could be a force as a big man in the league, he has the body and skills. But if he doesn’t he will fade away.
Right now, optimism reigns. As it should. And we’re not going to puncture that bubble; only Drummond himself will do that.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6