Aug 27, 2012, 7:58 AM EDT
Chris Bosh came out last week and said that “on paper” the Lakers had the best team, but they were going to have to prove they could live up to that billing, and that is an entirely different thing.
Kevin Durant said basically the same thing.
Durant spoke with Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports as he was promoting his movie Thunderstruck — which I’m sure all of you saw over the weekend — and Spears got him to talk about the Lakers, who added Dwight Howard and Steve Nash this summer.
“People outside, fans, media, of course they are going to say [the Lakers are the favorites] because on paper they have the best lineup in the league. But you still got to play the games. We respect everybody. We are going to go through the league respecting everybody as well…
“It was a great move for [the Lakers],” Durant said. “[Howard] is the most dominant center in the league. It’s going to make it tough on other teams. But I like that challenge. We all like that challenge in OKC. It should be fun.”
The Thunder have proved they’re elite. The Heat have proved they’re champions. This group of Lakers needs to prove that still. And if Lakers fans think that is a lock, they may want to ask Eagles fans about their unbeatable team last season.
It will not be easy for L.A. to prove they belong. The Thunder are going to be a better team than they were last season. The Heat will be better as well. But the Lakers have pushed their way into that title conversation. Bosh and Durant may be right, the Lakers may have the most talent.
But we need to see who is healthy come March and into the playoffs. We need to see how all three of those teams are executing. We need to see who is defending.
Durant and Bosh are right, simply assembling the most talent does not guarantee a title. But with the veterans the Lakers have pulled together, I don’t think that chemistry, or getting to play off one another, is going to be the problem.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4