Doug Collins wants to coach 4-5 more years, and Olympics

Aug 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

Doug Collins, Lou Williams AP

Doug Collins name keeps coming up in the coaching search for Team USA, to replace Mike Krzyzewski.

Collins name draws headlines but he is well behind in this race. The front-runner should be Gregg Popovich — but there are issues to be worked over with USA Basketball President Jerry Colangelo — and behind him the name we hear is Doc Rivers.

But Collins (a member of the 1972 Olympic team that was screwed out of a gold medal) keeps saying the right things, as he did to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

“It’s a tremendous honor that somebody would even throw my name out there,” Collins said. “It’s four years down the road and I understand in this business you hope you are an active coach at the time.”

Active coach is the key. Collins said he wants to coach in Philly that long.

“I am hoping that I am still active and I would like to coach four or five years in Philadelphia,” he said.

Philadelphia is going to be an interesting team to watch this season. Bringing in Andrew Bynum gives them something that makes them a matchup challenge for every other team in the East, but we need to see how Bynum adapts to being the focus of the opposing defense, not a secondary player. We need to see how he melds with Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner, and we need to see how as a team they deal with adversity.

But Collins is a guy who should be able to lead them.

1. chicagosworth - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Wonder when the first blow out will be between Bynum and Collins? Collins loves to yell, push and pull his players, and Bynum hates coaches so….we’ll see.

2. timb12 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Doug Collins is a good coach. But there are better options. Every time I hear his name come up for the Olympic coaching job I always hear how he was cheated out of the gold as a player. “how cool would it be if he finally got that gold medal?” isn’t a good argument for why he should be the coach.

• joegalvan02 - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Doc, Pop or Rick Carlisle are the only options IMO. Collins has proved to be pretty mediocre over the past decade.

• tcclark - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

It’s not about him finally getting that gold medal (coaches don’t even get medals). People bring his name up because he’s a good coach with arguably the best Olympic experience you can have. How can you beat playing for an Olympic team that was so held back by it’s head coach, only to lose at the last second because FIBA wanted to give the Soviets another shot? HE knows how to win in the Olympics, he knows how to lose in the Olympics, and he’ll be extra motivated.

If I was choosing, I’d put his name in front of Doc, but behind Pop. I think Doc get’s a lot of credit for a great roster. He not only has talent, but he practically had three coaches on the floor at all times. Doc is a great coach, but I think if Doug had the same kind of talent you’d see at least the same kind of production.

I’m not trying to say that Doug Collins is the second best coach in the NBA, but I think he is the second best option for the Olympic team.

3. phillyphann83 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

timb12, you obviously havent been wondering that hard about it. This is tbe 21st century and te answer to anything can be found on the internet. YouTube can be a wonderful place. just search for the 1972 gold metal game, you’ll find your answer.

4. nykfan4life - Aug 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Honestly he is a perfect fit every team without fail has gone from nothing to playoff teams in at least two seasons why wouldn’t you want a coach like that teaching superstars how to gel. To be honest he is a coach that maximizes his players, knows the game, and works players to be one cohesive unit. He is a chemistry mad scientist on the coaches table!!!!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches