Aug 27, 2012, 1:45 AM EDT
At age 34 after 14 years in the league, Dirk Nowitzki hasn’t lost a step yet. If you thought he did last year, think about who was around him. He is still the guy who led the Mavericks to the title in 2011, and even last season he averaged 21.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
And he’s going to be around a couple more years. This is what Nowitzki himself tweeted Sunday:
“@DribblePasShoot: @swish41 Your game looks like it will age really well, how many more yrs you playing?” 2 for sure and then see how I feel
Not coincidentally, that is when his next contract is up. Dirk, with his conditioning and shooting skill, most likely will still be able to play at a high level beyond those two years.
Whether he returns may have a lot to do with Mark Cuban’s rebuilding plan — he has a lot of cap space next year, and if they don’t land a start he will find a way to roll it over to the next year. He wants to get another star or two to pair with Dirk.
If he lands that other superstar you can bet Dirk will find a few more years in those legs. If not… it will be a sad day whenever the best international player ever leaves the NBA.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 24
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1