Aug 27, 2012, 1:45 AM EDT
At age 34 after 14 years in the league, Dirk Nowitzki hasn’t lost a step yet. If you thought he did last year, think about who was around him. He is still the guy who led the Mavericks to the title in 2011, and even last season he averaged 21.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
And he’s going to be around a couple more years. This is what Nowitzki himself tweeted Sunday:
“@DribblePasShoot: @swish41 Your game looks like it will age really well, how many more yrs you playing?” 2 for sure and then see how I feel
Not coincidentally, that is when his next contract is up. Dirk, with his conditioning and shooting skill, most likely will still be able to play at a high level beyond those two years.
Whether he returns may have a lot to do with Mark Cuban’s rebuilding plan — he has a lot of cap space next year, and if they don’t land a start he will find a way to roll it over to the next year. He wants to get another star or two to pair with Dirk.
If he lands that other superstar you can bet Dirk will find a few more years in those legs. If not… it will be a sad day whenever the best international player ever leaves the NBA.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (66)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million