Aug 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Hornets fans, you should like what Anthony Davis said for a couple of reasons.
What did he say? In a Q&A with the New York Times he talks a little about his Olympic experience, how he wants to play as hard as Kevin Garnett does every night, how he likes to draw cartoons, how he listens to Frank Ocean and more. Then he was asked his goals for his rookie season.
Win rookie of the year. Make first-team all-rookie, first-team all-defense and defensive player of the year.
He may win ROY, although I expect Damian Lillard and others to give him a run there (he should end up being the best player out of this class hands down, but it is going to take a few years to really reach his full potential).
But like I said, Hornet fans should be happy. First, you want a guy to set lofty goals. You want a player who thinks big — about winning, about goals for himself.
Second, he wants to establish himself on defense. That is key. If he can focus on that end and become a defensive force, he can lead the Hornets to big heights. The offense will come, he has a nice offensive game (he can finish around the rim, has a little midrange) but that will come with time. But the key is at the other end of the floor and he knows it.
And that Olympic experience is going to help him speed along that learning curve.
- Klay Thompson should not have been allowed to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 0
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 12
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 12
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 73