Aug 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Hornets fans, you should like what Anthony Davis said for a couple of reasons.
What did he say? In a Q&A with the New York Times he talks a little about his Olympic experience, how he wants to play as hard as Kevin Garnett does every night, how he likes to draw cartoons, how he listens to Frank Ocean and more. Then he was asked his goals for his rookie season.
Win rookie of the year. Make first-team all-rookie, first-team all-defense and defensive player of the year.
He may win ROY, although I expect Damian Lillard and others to give him a run there (he should end up being the best player out of this class hands down, but it is going to take a few years to really reach his full potential).
But like I said, Hornet fans should be happy. First, you want a guy to set lofty goals. You want a player who thinks big — about winning, about goals for himself.
Second, he wants to establish himself on defense. That is key. If he can focus on that end and become a defensive force, he can lead the Hornets to big heights. The offense will come, he has a nice offensive game (he can finish around the rim, has a little midrange) but that will come with time. But the key is at the other end of the floor and he knows it.
And that Olympic experience is going to help him speed along that learning curve.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50