Aug 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Hornets fans, you should like what Anthony Davis said for a couple of reasons.
What did he say? In a Q&A with the New York Times he talks a little about his Olympic experience, how he wants to play as hard as Kevin Garnett does every night, how he likes to draw cartoons, how he listens to Frank Ocean and more. Then he was asked his goals for his rookie season.
Win rookie of the year. Make first-team all-rookie, first-team all-defense and defensive player of the year.
He may win ROY, although I expect Damian Lillard and others to give him a run there (he should end up being the best player out of this class hands down, but it is going to take a few years to really reach his full potential).
But like I said, Hornet fans should be happy. First, you want a guy to set lofty goals. You want a player who thinks big — about winning, about goals for himself.
Second, he wants to establish himself on defense. That is key. If he can focus on that end and become a defensive force, he can lead the Hornets to big heights. The offense will come, he has a nice offensive game (he can finish around the rim, has a little midrange) but that will come with time. But the key is at the other end of the floor and he knows it.
And that Olympic experience is going to help him speed along that learning curve.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28