Wade says the Heat are still evolving, which sounds like a horror flick concept

Aug 26, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade, LeBron James AP

Chris Bosh wound up a center, LeBron James turned into a power-point-center, Shane Battier was power forward and Dwane Wade played small forward. The Heat went through a series of radical and unpredictable changes last season on account of both emerging trends in their opponents’ lineups and the injury to Chris Bosh. Up was down, in was out, and the only thing that made traditional sense was that Mario Chalmers ran point and the ball always went through the best player (on Earth), LeBron James.

But just because it worked last season, doesn’t mean it will work next season. And Dwyane Wade, in comments to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, made it clear that the Heat, despite being champions, are still evolving, still changing, still getting better.

“You never know what player is going to start off and be playing a certain way and you switch things up a little bit,” Wade said. “But we have that luxury, because we have not only three marquee players, but we have a lot of other players on our team that’s very capable, highly capable, and very good.”

And there will be decisions to be made, from how to maximize Allen’s role in the rotation, as stressed during his recruitment, to where to play Lewis, with length suited for the power rotation but a frame more befitting a perimeter player.

“So our plan to come out,” Wade said, “is, let’s get together as a team, let’s get our team defensive concepts down, let’s get our offensive continuity down and  we’ll see what comes out of that.”

via Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade looks ahead to NBA championship defense. – South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com.

The Heat were three solid Boston quarters away from being sunk by the Celtics, and struggled with Indiana’s size. The Pacers improved. The Celtic arguably improved. The Lakers improved. The Thunder can’t help but improve. So the Heat will have to respond if they want to defend their title. But the ideas that the Heat used to win were sound.

After all that talk about ditching Erik Spoelstra (and I made as much noise about it as anyone — whoops), Spoelstra put the pieces together specifically by not cementing anything. It was that approach that lead them through, and it will have to be the same for Miami next season.

1. dysraw1 - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM

they better get right cause this year the Knicks will beat the brakes off them, if they ain’t.NO FEAR

• dls612 - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Cute! I’m sure u felt that way last season! Stop disappointing yourself! By the way spelling no fear in capital letter tells me otherwise!

• nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Knicks couldn’t beat meat. Stop it!

• cantonbound13 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

says the man that beats his own to the site of LeBron, Much like Kurt does.

• guyaneserj - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

cantonboubd13, u seemingly have an unhealthy fixation wid Lebron, u sure it’s not u beating their meat? Weren’t u hugged as a child?

• cantonbound13 - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I get plenty of lovin from your mom, guy.

2. cantonbound13 - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So expect more flopping & whining.

• nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Agree.

• thenmoveback - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

flopping and whining? are you talking about the Celtics, because this article is about the NBA Champion MIAMI HEAT getting better! NO FEAR

• nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Who mentioned the Celtics? R u scared of the Celtics, Pacers, Lakers, or Thunder, because the poster pointed out flopping. Though Heat fans can be in denial or fairweather about their team, the Heat are notorious for flopping. It’s no secret, but they Heat can play some ball too.

• nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I think deep down inside Heat fans truly fear the Celtics as well as other contenders such as OKC, LAL, INDY or SAN. A depleted veteran Celtics team missing four key rotation players in Bradley, Green, Wilcox, JO. An injured Pierce(Sprained MCL) and Allen(Bone spurs). A sub-par bench unit of Ryan Hollins, Sean Williams, Greg Steimsma, Michael Pietrus, Keyon Dooling, Sasha Pavlovic, Marquis Daniels, Etwuan Moore; pushes a relatively healthy better Miami team to 7 games, u shouldn’t be concerned, but very concerned.

I know Heat fans will make excuses, because you’re notorious for that. People outside of Heat Nation ain’t buying what you’re selling, sorry.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Let’s see what happens in a real 82 game season when all teams get a full training camp & half the all stars in the league are not injured.

3. jon623 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I really feel that the Olympics had a great impact on American Basketball. It changed how certain players are viewed (whether by their peers, fans, or the global basketball community), and strengthened the skills and confidence of some rising talent.

As of a few years ago, I absolutely hated Lebron. I thought he was presumptuous, arrogant and narcisistic. But even I, a Lakers fan through and through, have to admit that I am really impressed by the growth Lebron has shown both on and off the court. Above being a fan of any one team, I am a fan of good sports. It makes me happy when a player begins to do things the right way; it makes me happy to see the best players in the world still being genuinely anamored with the spirit of the Olympics. I saw that in Lebron. I saw a player that bonded with and enjoyed playing with every player on that team, even if during the course of the NBA season those players are the same ones he sets out to defeat. He carried himself with class while still being an animal on the court.

This Miami team that started out three years ago as being dreadfully hated and pompous (that coming out party was ridiculous) is settling down, getting back to basketball, and is starting to put their egos aside. I’m impressed….and frightened.

4. southbeachtalent - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Yea we are terrified of the Celtics, not to mention the knicks….

By the way we don’t make excuses, that sir is for losers.

2012 WORLD CHAMPS!!!!

NO EXCUSES, JUST WIN

5. rodge1 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

As a Heat fan I must admit that it’s nice to see that the haters’ comments went from the Heat being ‘chokers’ to the now popular ‘floppers’ angle. And yes, almost forgot, I’m a fair-weather-fan too. I only started liking the Heat when they drafted Ronny Seikaly to go with their powerhouse-team they had in ’88.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m sure you were a season ticket holder when they only won 15 games too.

• miamatt - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hey, you forgot Kevin Edwards, Jon Sunvold and Rory Sparrow!!! That team was a powerhouse.

Funny how many page views cantonbound13 gives Miami Heat articles. I guess when you are a fan of an absolute garbage franchise and know exactly jack about basketball, it can be a dangerous combination.

• nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Miami as a franchise has 2 championships. For some crazy reason their is a Michael Jordan jersey hanging on the wall of The American Airlines Arena? I’ll give credit where it’s due the Heat are very good, but stop fronting like the Heat’s been dominate for years because that is not the case. I’m not hating just telling it like it is.

The Heat fan base is not genuine and everybody outside of Miami knows this, but u Heat fans. The fans barely show up to games or fill seats, because they’re hanging out on south-beach drinking bahamas mamas, Margaritas and walking the beach.

Just stop it Heat fans, stop it. People are not hating on the Heat.They just u as fans. lol

• guyaneserj - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Exactly Miamatt, couldn’t agree more

• miamatt - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

nycalldayz:

What exactly is it I’m supposed to do in your mind? Stop supporting my team? I guess you would like that since then you can chalk it up to my being another “typical miami fan”.

I’ve lived not only Miami, but I spent the better part of a decade each living in Boston and Chicago. And you know what? It turns out there are both great fans and stupid fans in every city, for every team. I can’t say there aren’t empty seats at times in Miami, but pay attention for yourself and you see that all over the league- even in Boston (among other cities) during last year’s playoffs.

Here’s what I do know: Since the Heat came into existence, it is Miami 2, State and City of New York ZERO in terms of professional basketball championships. Not saying we are LA, Boston, or Chicago… yet. But deep down I know that simple truth kills every Knicks fan.

nycalldayz, just stop it. And by that I mean wasting our time with your nonsense. It is obvious that you are only semi-literate. Go Heat.

6. rodge1 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM

@cantonbound13
    Are you Sid Rosenberg? If not then you must be a fan of his which would explain a lot. Your anger towards the state of the Knicks is very apparent. Be patient, maybe the Nets will do nicely this year so you have a team to be content with.

7. dysraw1 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

undeniably yet questionably world champs

8. lakerluver - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

The Heat have “one hit wonders” written all over them.

• miamatt - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I can’t wait to taste your tears come June. Good thing the Phil Jackson days are behind you guys, eh? I’m sure Mike Brown will figure it out, though…

9. money2long - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

i truly forgot the heat picked up rashard lewis. i like the heat bench.

10. lakerluver - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

You mean the same Rashard Lewis that hasn’t been very good in a few seasons?

• money2long - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

HE IS A BENCH PLAYER NOW. HE WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO PRODUCE AS A STARTER. (ugh jus realized caps lock was on) . his production on the bench will be way more valuable and efficient than if he was tasked to be the main guy at any starting spot. he will be a specialty guy. he is versatile, and off the bench , you need some versatility so that you can plug him in wherever there will be a mismatch. also, role players tend to play much better when surrounded by superior talent. lebron driving in the paint and kicking it out to a wide open lewis. even lewis on the perimeter will open the lane. he is a role player now. that is what you have to grasp. the lewis you are so downgrading was asked to be a starter. he is not that anymore and off the bench, he is an asset.

11. lakerluver - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

It took the greatest game of LeBron’s career to get the Heat past Boston. Well, that and the refs. Miami will be 1 and done. Meaning: 1 title. Just wait and see. Either they will not make the Finals. Or they will lose in the Finals.

12. lakerluver - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

@miamatt, how exactly are YOU gonna “taste my tears”? I’m curious to know how you’re gonna pull that off. All I know is I don’t want any part of it!!……According to some, Spo wasn’t a very good coach until he won a title this year. Before this season Brown had accomplished more in his career than Spo had. It’s amazing how ones perception changes after a coach wins a title. The criticism of Mike Brown comes from ignorant fans who know very little about basketball. It’s highly doubtful that you know more about basketball than Mitch and the Buss family. If they think Mike Brown is the right coach for the LAKERS I will not question them on it. They have proven over and over that they know way more about basketball than you and I combined. Gotta love the “smartphone” G.M.’s.

• miamatt - Aug 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Guess you’re not familiar with “Scott Tenorman Must Die”, @lakerluver, but that’s OK- we won’t hold it against you. I know what you are saying with “according to some…”, but I thought Spo had the right approach all along. And I never claimed to know more about basketball than those who have made it their profession- but that doesn’t mean ipso facto that the Lakers front office is right in all things and anything else is ignorant. They decided to make a culture change, rather than go with somebody like Brian Shaw after Jackson left. It might work out, and if I was a Laker fan I would have faith in my front office, too, but one thing we haven’t seen is the big star on one of Mike Brown’s teams really buy in to whatever he’s trying to accomplish. Nor have we seen him coach a team to a title. It doesn’t mean Brown can’t get it done, but you know this is a results league as much as any other.

I’m just working an angle and twisting the knife, same as you with your “one hit wonder” comments.

“Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! Mm-yummy.” -Cartman

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Imagine that, Lakersucker in the middle of an argument making an ass out of himself…..
    You’re the common denominator. You’re so over the top in your support, you’re almost a caricature. Blindly loyal, uber homeristic.
    I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating.
    I bet you have an extremely punchable face.
    Im sure you’re “that” guy, that everyone dreads seeing and talking to in your sad, miserable real life.
    Do everyone a favor and stop posting. You’re ignorant and the only thing you’re succeeding at is making a complete fool of yoursef.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches