Aug 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
It takes a lot for players not to stick up for other players when it comes to disputes with management. Ownership and management have no loyalty towards the player, and in CBA disputes, well, you know who’s on who’s side. So the players speak up for any player that goes through something difficult.
Except when it comes to Charles Oakley, who could give a (insert your favorite phrase here) about what people think, and Dwight Howard‘s situation with the Magic. From ESPN radio, courtesy of Eye on Basketball:
“A lot of guys cry in this league these days. I try not to get caught up in that. The management in Orlando let him get away with it. Most times, they put kids in timeout. They never put him in timeout. He just kept crying and got his way. Now he’s in LA with Kobe so they got a chance to win a couple championships in the next two or three years.
“They could have traded him and got something better for him last year. I think they just tried to play along. They just pleased him anyway they could but he never did anything to please them.”
What should we say to that? My first thought is “Amen.”
The Magic’s mistake with Dwight Howard wasn’t keeping him last year instead of trading him. It wasn’t the package they got in the trade, and it wasn’t how long it took. It was the series of emotional responses they gave in handling the situation, and how they avoided tough decisions because of feelings they had about Howard. They needed to be calm, cool, and rational to get on top of it, and instead they wound up making desperate pleas and seeming like some emo-struck teenager.
With Rob Hennigan in charge, they’ve got a shot at getting things back under control. But the thing for them to take away from this debacle is that you can’t control how the superstars are going to act, but you can control your reaction to it and the standards you set for your organization.
(HT: Eye on Basketball)
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12