Aug 25, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Jason Kidd has shifted his role in recent seasons. In Dallas, he went from the engine that ran the machine to a spot-up shooter who managed the office. It was a subtle but important shift and kept him capable as he began to get older. In New York, he’s expected to do much of the same. Dribble-dribble-dribble, pass to Carmelo Anthony in the high post, go to corner, wait, watch as Anthony shoots over two defenders, repeat.
But he’s got some different ideas. In an interview with official Knicks blog KnicksNow, Kidd drops the name of that other famous pure point guard over 35, the one that worked with Amar’e Stoudemire in his best years:
“With Amar’e, I hope I can be like a Nash to be able to get him the ball where he likes it to be successful. Make it where he doesn’t have to work as hard, easy layups, catch and shoot where he likes it,” Kidd explained.
Speaking like a true point guard, Kidd assessed the Knicks leading scorer and how he can make life easier for Anthony in 2012-13.
“Melo is one of the top five players in the world,” Kidd smiled. “For me it’s to get him touches that put the ball in the basket, so he doesn’t have to work so hard. He’s a guy that understands how to play and also understands how to win.”
That’s all well and good, but Kidd hasn’t run a lot in those kinds of sets in the last few years, and the big problem is creating the spacing with how someone (ahem, the star) needs the spacing for his game. And lost in all this is the fact that Kidd may end up having a better chemistry with Tyson Chandler, who can work the pick and roll and handle the lob.
But with Stoudemire working on more of a post game after his work with Hakeem Olajuwon, and with the spacing the Knicks will have with their shooters, there’s certainly a lot to be excited about. Kidd’s going to be the backup point guard, but can still contribute. The question is how much, and if the, er, system will allow him to.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9