Aug 24, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
How did Joe Johnson learn he was traded from the Hawks to the Nets? He got a phone call that morning from the GMs involved that it was likely to go down later in that day, the new Nets wingman told Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated.
But that wasn’t the best part of the story or the exchange.
Johnson: So around noon, I’m sitting there playing a video game, and I look at ESPN, and there it is: “Breaking news.” And I had just gotten off the phone with them!…
SI.com: What video game were you playing?
Johnson: NBA 2K.
SI.com: And were you playing with the Hawks? Did you immediately reset and switch to the Nets?
Johnson: [Laughing] Me and my home boy, we just kind of sporadically pick teams — we kind of just close our eyes and pick one. But I did go right away and trade myself to the Nets, and I’ve been playing with them since.
And Johnson said he was fair, he did the trade as it went down, he didn’t stack the deck for the Nets on 2K. Which is totally what Mikhail Prokhorov would have tried to do, if he played video games.
Go read the rest of the Johnson interview, there is some good stuff in there.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18