Aug 24, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
How did Joe Johnson learn he was traded from the Hawks to the Nets? He got a phone call that morning from the GMs involved that it was likely to go down later in that day, the new Nets wingman told Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated.
But that wasn’t the best part of the story or the exchange.
Johnson: So around noon, I’m sitting there playing a video game, and I look at ESPN, and there it is: “Breaking news.” And I had just gotten off the phone with them!…
SI.com: What video game were you playing?
Johnson: NBA 2K.
SI.com: And were you playing with the Hawks? Did you immediately reset and switch to the Nets?
Johnson: [Laughing] Me and my home boy, we just kind of sporadically pick teams — we kind of just close our eyes and pick one. But I did go right away and trade myself to the Nets, and I’ve been playing with them since.
And Johnson said he was fair, he did the trade as it went down, he didn’t stack the deck for the Nets on 2K. Which is totally what Mikhail Prokhorov would have tried to do, if he played video games.
Go read the rest of the Johnson interview, there is some good stuff in there.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17