Aug 24, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
He sounds a lot more comfortable in New Orleans, at least from what he told the Associated Press.
“With the exception of Phoenix, in college and high school I always played with low-scoring successful teams,” Lopez said on Thursday morning while working out at the Hornets’ training center. “That is something I can definitely get accustomed to here.”
The Hornets are going to be a defense first team. That’s their coach Monty Williams, who worked on that mentality last year. That’s their personnel, with Anthony Davis and Lopez as their big men.
Lopez is in recovery after knee surgery, but he should be back during training camp. He says he is looking forward to playing with the young gold medal winning first rounder.
“From what I’ve seen of him, he’s fantastic,” Lopez said of Davis, who was the star of Kentucky’s 2012 national title team. “He’s got great timing, long athletic. I don’t think I’m too bad of a defensive player, so we make a heck of a tandem down there on the defensive end. Hopefully we can kind of close down some lanes.”
The Hornets have some guys who can play. They may start the season slow but once they start to find an offensive groove, once guys like Lopez and Davis get comfortable, by the time we get after the All-Star break they are going to be a better team. The kind of team you want to watch.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 0
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 6
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21