Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
Miami has 13 guys under guaranteed contract for next season and likely will add one more big to the roster before the season starts, giving them a little depth at center.
Now, this guy will not play a lot — Miami is going to go small with Chris Bosh at the five for this season — but they want to have some size on the bench, just in case. Also, this guy must be willing to play for the league minimum.
Miami has a few options. As has been widely reported, yesterday former Knick Josh Harrellson worked out for the team. No contract was offered. The buzz is he impressed with his shooting but as Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted “there’s a reason he’s vowing to do “two-a-days” now.”
Two bigger names are also out there and available — Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche. Both have talent, both come with baggage. The Heat have asked about Andersen and also Darko Milicic in the past, but none of these three have had a formal workout.
Then there are the big men already working out at the Heat facility, notes Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Veteran power forward Juwan Howard was the first Heat player to return to workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena in the wake of the team’s championship. Center Mickell Gladness, who began last season with the Heat before closing the season with the Golden State Warriors, played for the Heat’s summer-league team in July.
None of these guys will really swing the balance of power when signed, but it will be interesting to see which direction they go.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10