Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
Miami has 13 guys under guaranteed contract for next season and likely will add one more big to the roster before the season starts, giving them a little depth at center.
Now, this guy will not play a lot — Miami is going to go small with Chris Bosh at the five for this season — but they want to have some size on the bench, just in case. Also, this guy must be willing to play for the league minimum.
Miami has a few options. As has been widely reported, yesterday former Knick Josh Harrellson worked out for the team. No contract was offered. The buzz is he impressed with his shooting but as Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted “there’s a reason he’s vowing to do “two-a-days” now.”
Two bigger names are also out there and available — Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche. Both have talent, both come with baggage. The Heat have asked about Andersen and also Darko Milicic in the past, but none of these three have had a formal workout.
Then there are the big men already working out at the Heat facility, notes Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Veteran power forward Juwan Howard was the first Heat player to return to workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena in the wake of the team’s championship. Center Mickell Gladness, who began last season with the Heat before closing the season with the Golden State Warriors, played for the Heat’s summer-league team in July.
None of these guys will really swing the balance of power when signed, but it will be interesting to see which direction they go.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30