Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
Miami has 13 guys under guaranteed contract for next season and likely will add one more big to the roster before the season starts, giving them a little depth at center.
Now, this guy will not play a lot — Miami is going to go small with Chris Bosh at the five for this season — but they want to have some size on the bench, just in case. Also, this guy must be willing to play for the league minimum.
Miami has a few options. As has been widely reported, yesterday former Knick Josh Harrellson worked out for the team. No contract was offered. The buzz is he impressed with his shooting but as Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted “there’s a reason he’s vowing to do “two-a-days” now.”
Two bigger names are also out there and available — Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche. Both have talent, both come with baggage. The Heat have asked about Andersen and also Darko Milicic in the past, but none of these three have had a formal workout.
Then there are the big men already working out at the Heat facility, notes Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Veteran power forward Juwan Howard was the first Heat player to return to workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena in the wake of the team’s championship. Center Mickell Gladness, who began last season with the Heat before closing the season with the Golden State Warriors, played for the Heat’s summer-league team in July.
None of these guys will really swing the balance of power when signed, but it will be interesting to see which direction they go.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 0
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 8
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7