Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 AM EST
Miami has 13 guys under guaranteed contract for next season and likely will add one more big to the roster before the season starts, giving them a little depth at center.
Now, this guy will not play a lot — Miami is going to go small with Chris Bosh at the five for this season — but they want to have some size on the bench, just in case. Also, this guy must be willing to play for the league minimum.
Miami has a few options. As has been widely reported, yesterday former Knick Josh Harrellson worked out for the team. No contract was offered. The buzz is he impressed with his shooting but as Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted “there’s a reason he’s vowing to do “two-a-days” now.”
Two bigger names are also out there and available — Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche. Both have talent, both come with baggage. The Heat have asked about Andersen and also Darko Milicic in the past, but none of these three have had a formal workout.
Then there are the big men already working out at the Heat facility, notes Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Veteran power forward Juwan Howard was the first Heat player to return to workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena in the wake of the team’s championship. Center Mickell Gladness, who began last season with the Heat before closing the season with the Golden State Warriors, played for the Heat’s summer-league team in July.
None of these guys will really swing the balance of power when signed, but it will be interesting to see which direction they go.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 0
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 10
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 51
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20