Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 AM EST
Miami has 13 guys under guaranteed contract for next season and likely will add one more big to the roster before the season starts, giving them a little depth at center.
Now, this guy will not play a lot — Miami is going to go small with Chris Bosh at the five for this season — but they want to have some size on the bench, just in case. Also, this guy must be willing to play for the league minimum.
Miami has a few options. As has been widely reported, yesterday former Knick Josh Harrellson worked out for the team. No contract was offered. The buzz is he impressed with his shooting but as Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted “there’s a reason he’s vowing to do “two-a-days” now.”
Two bigger names are also out there and available — Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche. Both have talent, both come with baggage. The Heat have asked about Andersen and also Darko Milicic in the past, but none of these three have had a formal workout.
Then there are the big men already working out at the Heat facility, notes Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Veteran power forward Juwan Howard was the first Heat player to return to workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena in the wake of the team’s championship. Center Mickell Gladness, who began last season with the Heat before closing the season with the Golden State Warriors, played for the Heat’s summer-league team in July.
None of these guys will really swing the balance of power when signed, but it will be interesting to see which direction they go.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17