Aug 24, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Which brings us to ‘Melo speaking with Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com Friday and talking about the Knicks and his Olympic experience. In London he played a lot of four, would we see that in Madison Square Garden this year?
‘I’m a wingman & everyone knows that. But it’s an extra incentive (to play the 4)… It gives us more weapons.”
Anthony was dangerous at the four in the Olympics as part of the USA’s small-ball lineup because he could step out and hit the three, he can put the ball on the floor to create a shot, and he is dangerous in the post. The versatility of his game makes him a tough matchup at the four spot.
But that’s not where he plays when Stoudemire is on the court. Then ‘Melo is a wing and that’s where he played with the Knicks last year — 35.4 percent of his shot attempts came in isolation sets (via MySynergySports). He did post up for 13 percent of his shots (and shot 43 percent, which was better than his 37 percent in isolation) but like he said, he’s a wingman. Everyone knows that. Right?
The Knicks need to use ‘Melo more at the four, they need to take advantage of that versatility. They also need to have Stoudemire at the four and running some pick-and-rolls with Raymond Felton. Stoudemire is very effective as the roll-man (he shot 60 percent in that spot last year and got 13 percent of his shots that way). The Knicks need to run more Felton/Stoudemire action, what was at one point Mike D’Antoni’s bread and butter play.
But Mike Woodson had the offense running through his wingman ‘Melo. You can’t run a high pick and roll if Anthony is pounding the ball on the wing. They could go small with ‘Melo at the five and Amare at the four, but that would be a D’Antoni thing to do. Plus, then you’re not using one of the two best defensive centers in the game in Tyson Chandler (and the Knicks need his defense in the paint).
If the Knicks can get Anthony and Stoudemire to play together they can move on to that second tier in the East (they still are not hanging with the Heat). But I need to see it first, because the evidence so far says the Knicks two stars don’t mix.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50