Aug 24, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
What Baron Davis wants to do is get back on the court and play again.
But at age 33 he tore his ACL and MCL, which is hard to come back from for anyone. And let’s be honest here, Davis’ history of diligently sticking with his injury rehab is not exactly stellar.
Davis is working on rehabbing his knee, but the Knicks are not offering him a new contract this season. Still, whatever happens he’s going to have some role with the Knicks, his agent told ESPNNewYork.com.
The team has allowed him to do physical therapy with their training staff, and most recently, management has approached him about staying on board this season…
“He’ll still be around the team and could kind of help some of the younger guys just through his experience,” Ramasar said. “The Knicks have been wonderful in terms of just extending support to Baron, whether it be through obviously his physical therapy or just having him involved with the organization going forward. He really loves that team and that organization has done an excellent job with Baron, and Baron feels like that’s home. He really, really enjoyed last season with the Knicks.”
Davis has always been very popular with teammates and fans. He already hosts a number of community and charity events outside of the team, just for his causes. There is certainly a place for him within the Knicks, or really any NBA organization.
His agent says it’s way too early to say if Davis can get back on the court this year. I have my guess, but I don’t want to root against the guy. I have a sort spot for Davis because when he was on there were few better or more engaging players. That’s why I’m glad he’ll be around the league one way or another this season.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18