Aug 24, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
What Baron Davis wants to do is get back on the court and play again.
But at age 33 he tore his ACL and MCL, which is hard to come back from for anyone. And let’s be honest here, Davis’ history of diligently sticking with his injury rehab is not exactly stellar.
Davis is working on rehabbing his knee, but the Knicks are not offering him a new contract this season. Still, whatever happens he’s going to have some role with the Knicks, his agent told ESPNNewYork.com.
The team has allowed him to do physical therapy with their training staff, and most recently, management has approached him about staying on board this season…
“He’ll still be around the team and could kind of help some of the younger guys just through his experience,” Ramasar said. “The Knicks have been wonderful in terms of just extending support to Baron, whether it be through obviously his physical therapy or just having him involved with the organization going forward. He really loves that team and that organization has done an excellent job with Baron, and Baron feels like that’s home. He really, really enjoyed last season with the Knicks.”
Davis has always been very popular with teammates and fans. He already hosts a number of community and charity events outside of the team, just for his causes. There is certainly a place for him within the Knicks, or really any NBA organization.
His agent says it’s way too early to say if Davis can get back on the court this year. I have my guess, but I don’t want to root against the guy. I have a sort spot for Davis because when he was on there were few better or more engaging players. That’s why I’m glad he’ll be around the league one way or another this season.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32