Aug 23, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
For a lot of people, it never seemed like Dwyane Wade would leave the Miami Heat two summers ago. Sure, he was a free agent coveted by teams — and he met with the Chicago Bulls — but was more about recruiting LeBron James and Chris Bosh to join him in South Beach rather than bolting.
But he admits there was a time when his hometown of Chicago got heavy consideration.
Wade was on Chicago Tribune Live on Comcast SportsNet Chicago and said it was not an easy decision for him at all.
“It was very tough, it was one of the hardest decision I had to make in my life,” Wade explained.
“I’m a Chicago guy and I grew up idolizing the Chicago Bulls, idolizing Michael Jordan and wanted to wear that jersey. So the day I went for the Chicago visit and they gave me the No. 3 jersey, I mean, that day messed me up. I went back home and I had the jersey on and, I mean, I turned into a kid again.”
But the adult in him saw Bosh coming to Miami not long after that, and a few days later LeBron’s decision, and Wade knew where his best opportunity to win a ring was.
But think about a Derrick Rose and Wade backcourt in Chicago… that would have been fun to watch. They would have worked out the challenges as Wade and LeBron did, and… sorry Bulls fans. It’s hard to live in a world of “what if.”
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 4
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record