Aug 23, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like James T. Kirk loves green women.
• The Miami Heat need some depth up front. On Thursday former Knick and Rocket Josh Harrellson worked out for the Heat on Thursday. Chris Andersen also has let the Heat know he is interested in a deal. Any deal would be for the league minimum as that is all the Heat can offer this far over the cap. There also will not be a lot of minutes — Miami is going small ball with Chris Bosh at the five and likely playing Udonis Haslem there as well. But they want some size on the bench besides Joel Anthony and Dexter Pittman.
• Lakers fans, watch this video from BBallBreakdown.com (love their work) of how your offense will look with Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol… then stop drooling. This is going to be a very good offensive team once they find their groove. For them (as it was in the last title runs) the question is will they defend well enough?
• Lakers fans, Kobe Bryant turned 34 Thursday. SLAM celebrated by picking out his 34 best dunks.
• Who were the most unlikely 50-point scorers in a game in NBA history? Here’s a pretty good list. I didn’t remember Tony Delk doing that at all.
• Former Raptors head man Jay Triano is getting the job as the head man of the Canadian national team.
• Celtics assistant GM Mike Zarren is on the Sixers radar as they keep looking for a new general manager for next season.
• Rodrigue Beaubois is working out with boxing this offseason.
• Maya Moore is leading the WNBA in jersey sales this year. She’s a star.
• Jumaine Jones signed to play with Bnei Herzliya in Israel.
• I loved this poll on RealGM of what NBA writers would make good GMs. First, happy not to be on it. Second, Jason Givony of DraftExpress.com with ESPN’s Larry Coon as the capologist might not be bad (Sebastian Pruiti will be a scout for them), but the rest of these guys… not moves a smart owner makes. With no offense intended to Woj.
• ESPN’s Bill Simmons should not be a GM, but he might be part of the ESPN pregame show (NBA Countdown) next year. And that could work.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31