Aug 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The Nets have rounded out their roster. Apparently. They bringing in swingman Donte Greene — a guy who had a lot of shots in Sacramento, but like his three pointers often missed the mark.
The report of a deal comes from Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports. Over at Nets are Scorching they add this is not a guaranteed deal — he will have to make the team, right now this is a camp invite — and it would have to be for the minimum (although other reports say this is for $1.6 million, a little more than the minimum).
While Greene has shown flashes of good play — the guy is long and athletic — he never found a role that worked in Sacramento. They tried him as a slasher, spot up shooter, defensive specialist, at the three, at the four — none of it really worked. He shot 23 percent from three last year and so it makes it hard for him to drive the lane. Certainly the Kings haven’t been a stable organization (Greene had four coaches there in his four years) but he was never able to rise above that.
Gerald Wallace is going to start at the three for the Nets and there will not be a lot of minutes for Greene. And he’ll have to earn those minutes. That said, at a minimum salary it’s not a bad risk for Brooklyn.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4