Aug 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The Nets have rounded out their roster. Apparently. They bringing in swingman Donte Greene — a guy who had a lot of shots in Sacramento, but like his three pointers often missed the mark.
The report of a deal comes from Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports. Over at Nets are Scorching they add this is not a guaranteed deal — he will have to make the team, right now this is a camp invite — and it would have to be for the minimum (although other reports say this is for $1.6 million, a little more than the minimum).
While Greene has shown flashes of good play — the guy is long and athletic — he never found a role that worked in Sacramento. They tried him as a slasher, spot up shooter, defensive specialist, at the three, at the four — none of it really worked. He shot 23 percent from three last year and so it makes it hard for him to drive the lane. Certainly the Kings haven’t been a stable organization (Greene had four coaches there in his four years) but he was never able to rise above that.
Gerald Wallace is going to start at the three for the Nets and there will not be a lot of minutes for Greene. And he’ll have to earn those minutes. That said, at a minimum salary it’s not a bad risk for Brooklyn.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 14
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 14
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 13
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10