Aug 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The Nets have rounded out their roster. Apparently. They bringing in swingman Donte Greene — a guy who had a lot of shots in Sacramento, but like his three pointers often missed the mark.
The report of a deal comes from Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports. Over at Nets are Scorching they add this is not a guaranteed deal — he will have to make the team, right now this is a camp invite — and it would have to be for the minimum (although other reports say this is for $1.6 million, a little more than the minimum).
While Greene has shown flashes of good play — the guy is long and athletic — he never found a role that worked in Sacramento. They tried him as a slasher, spot up shooter, defensive specialist, at the three, at the four — none of it really worked. He shot 23 percent from three last year and so it makes it hard for him to drive the lane. Certainly the Kings haven’t been a stable organization (Greene had four coaches there in his four years) but he was never able to rise above that.
Gerald Wallace is going to start at the three for the Nets and there will not be a lot of minutes for Greene. And he’ll have to earn those minutes. That said, at a minimum salary it’s not a bad risk for Brooklyn.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36