Aug 23, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
It’s been fun watching the spin on the Olympics and having star NBA players in them. Team owners go in saying “we don’t want our players to risk injury or wear themselves down.” Then somebody looks up the numbers and the other side spins that after the Olympics players often have better years, which is true. But the first time an Olympian does get injured or slumps, guess where the blame will go?
Ask the players and they love the experience.
My role was a little different playing with Team USA as opposed to when I’m on the Thunder. So I learned a lot about myself as a player. I think half the game is mental. Watching other guys and approaching the game like I did, I think I learned in that aspect. I also learned how to be a better leader and hopefully I bring it back to OKC and become a better player. I know I have a long way to go, I just have to keep improving.
(What he said he learned) Just the focus and the energy that you have to have every single day. The details you have to pay attention to every day. That’s why we won the Gold. For every winning team, it’s the small things that win, not how many points LeBron scores or Kobe scores or me. It’s about the deflections we get, the steals, the blocked shots, the charges we take. Small things like that that we do is going to separate us because everybody at this level is good at the major things in the game. That’s what I learned and hopefully we do it in OKC every game.
This experience — plus the fact Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Serge Ibaka are all still young and improving — is going to make the Thunder a better team next season. And they were already damn good.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11