Aug 22, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The other day we brought you the news that while Stephen Curry is eligible for an extension to his rookie deal right now, he likely will go into next summer a restricted free agent where he and the Warriors will let the market set his value (Golden State has the right to match any offer).
Right now Warriors are not likely to offer Curry — coming off another ankle surgery — a contract extension. Or at least not one Curry would sign.
Earlier this week Curry said he would sign a reasonable offer right now. But Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com asks the tricky, literally millions of dollars question:
What is a reasonable offer for Steph Curry right now?
Assuming you’re looking at a four-year deal, what do you offer him? Is four years, $32 million a reasonable offer for Curry under the circumstances? How about four years, $28 million? Too low, you say … how about four years in the $36 million to $40 million range?
Curry is not a max guy (four years, $60 million), then again neither is Brook Lopez and he got one. Serge Ibaka just got four year, $48 million (with bonuses that can take it up to $51 million). NBA big men like Ibaka tend to get overpaid, but what do you consider Curry’s impact when healthy compared to Ibaka?
The deadline for the two sides to reach a deal is Oct. 31. Don’t bet on it.
The fact is what Curry thinks he is worth (probably close to Ibaka) is a bigger risk than the Warriors are willing to take right now. But it could be interesting next summer when Curry, Jrue Holiday and Ty Lawson all hit the market as restricted free agents. What will the market offer them?
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona