Aug 22, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
The other day we brought you the news that while Stephen Curry is eligible for an extension to his rookie deal right now, he likely will go into next summer a restricted free agent where he and the Warriors will let the market set his value (Golden State has the right to match any offer).
Right now Warriors are not likely to offer Curry — coming off another ankle surgery — a contract extension. Or at least not one Curry would sign.
Earlier this week Curry said he would sign a reasonable offer right now. But Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com asks the tricky, literally millions of dollars question:
What is a reasonable offer for Steph Curry right now?
Assuming you’re looking at a four-year deal, what do you offer him? Is four years, $32 million a reasonable offer for Curry under the circumstances? How about four years, $28 million? Too low, you say … how about four years in the $36 million to $40 million range?
Curry is not a max guy (four years, $60 million), then again neither is Brook Lopez and he got one. Serge Ibaka just got four year, $48 million (with bonuses that can take it up to $51 million). NBA big men like Ibaka tend to get overpaid, but what do you consider Curry’s impact when healthy compared to Ibaka?
The deadline for the two sides to reach a deal is Oct. 31. Don’t bet on it.
The fact is what Curry thinks he is worth (probably close to Ibaka) is a bigger risk than the Warriors are willing to take right now. But it could be interesting next summer when Curry, Jrue Holiday and Ty Lawson all hit the market as restricted free agents. What will the market offer them?
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13