Mike Brown almost injured himself when he heard about Howard trade

Aug 22, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Mike Brown is on the hot seat.

With Lakers fans there are really not shades of grey, no “they had a good team and if they had just stayed healthy/had another player/had fair refs they would have won a title.” You win or you don’t. Black or white. The Lakers didn’t win a ring last year, and the fact that Brown coached essentially the same roster to the same place Phil Jackson had the year before (out in the second round of the playoffs) is lost on a lot of people in Los Angeles. They expect more.

Well, this year everyone expects more. And the Lakers have a roster that can achieve that with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash added to the mix (unlike last year, when they did have the talent to beat OKC, sorry Lakers fans).

So as you can imagine, Brown was pretty pumped when he got the news about the Howard deal from owner Jim Buss and GM Mitch Kupchak, as he told the wise Brian Kamenetzky at ESPN’s Land O’ Lakers blog.

“I got a little excited. I tried to jump up and down, but my mind was telling me to do something that my body wouldn’t allow me to do. I almost pulled my hamstring sitting down. I don’t know if that’s ever happened to anybody, but I was so excited that my leg tensed up. I almost tore my hamstring. So I got up slowly and gave him and Jim Buss a hug,” Brown said.

“That might be the first hug they’ve gotten from their coach, ever, when it comes to a trade happening.”

Phil Jackson, not a hugger.

Lakers fans should go read the entire Q&A, but Brown is asked about the reports he will run some Princeton offense, and he both confirms that and notes it will be kind of a hybrid. And Steve Nash will be the guy driving the bus.

“The way that we’ll put it together, Steve’s going to have an opportunity — he’s going to quarterback the team — and so he’s going to have an opportunity to come down the floor every possession and in early offense play pick-and-roll if he wants to. It’s up to him, based on where he decides to take the ball or a call that he makes or an action that he does, it’s up to him to get us into some of the looks of the Princeton offense.”

If Brown can stick to this and not micromanage he will do well — giving the ball to Nash and staying out of the way is just good coaching.

The Lakers are contenders. And if they don’t play like it, Brown may end up pulling a hamstring jumping out of his seat as it gets very hot.

1. lakerluver - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM

When we got D12 I almost injured myself too!!……Brown is gonna prove to be a good coach. But, even in doing so, he still won’t get much credit from some. Heck, Phil Jackson has more rings than fingers and fools still don’t think he can coach!! Those are the same fools that were ready to have Spolestra fired.

• dls612 - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Wow! Lakerluver did u jump up and down when Mike Brown became the Lakers new coach? Lakers betta win it all in 2013 or come very close! If not u and Lakers will be asking for Mike Brown to hand in resignation! Wanna see how fast u blame the coach!

• stoutfiles - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

“When we got D12″

“We”? How are you affiliated with the Lakers? Or are you just a homer living vicariously through a sports team?

• money2long - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM

a fanbase is part of a team. it’s not like he said “we have a team meeting” .

• stoutfiles - Aug 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM

You can be a fan of anything, but you don’t reference yourself as part of that team/product. Liking something doesn’t mean you are affiliated with them in any way.

This has nothing to do with the Lakers, and everything to do with people obsessed over sports teams. I follow many teams through different sports, but always reference the team as “they”, because I am not part of the organization. I root for them to do well, but I do not pretend like I am on the team.

• truthhurtstoo - Aug 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I laugh at that all the time…”we”.

2. paulhargis53 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

yeah Lakersucker, I’m sure you almost pulled your pathetic little dingus off while staring dreamily at your Kobe poster when you heard the news.

Please seek help for your scary obsession.

• blueintown - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

:’-(

• polarbearsquares - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Many psychologists would have a field day with all the homoerotic images in these few sentences.

• therealhtj - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Sad little celtics fans all bummed out preparing for another lost season while the Lakers make room for another banner.

3. teambringitstrong - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM

@lakerluver- Sometimes the best coaches, managers, CEO’s aren’t the ones with the X’s and O’s 100% of the time. You have to know when to pull, let go, steer and correct. If Mike Brown focuses on managing the game instead of managing situations (possessions) the LakeShow will be fine.
    I will be fun to watch and looks like I will be back to running out of the house at halftime for a bite to eat and back for the start of the 3rd quarter this year.

4. superseahawk - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Good for Brown, he’s been the scapegoat his entire career.

• scalfor3 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

and thats changed how? if this team doesn’t win a championship he’s gonna get pinned as the reason why

5. wayne1693 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Maybe they could also try the Harvard-Graduate-School-of-International-Studies Offense also…it is supposed to really confuse the Defense.

6. polarbearsquares - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Best thing I saw was the graph about Nash.

If he is truly going to give Nash that autonomy I see no way for teams to defend them. He’s the best decision maker in the league even at his age.

7. ambitoos - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The week link on this team now is Brown. Last chance as a Laker coach.

8. sellahh - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

well at least he didnt jizz himself… or did he

9. blakspartan - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM

lmao@wayne1963 comment

10. clownsfan - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Mile Brown doesn’t know how to handle a rotation. He’s a jagoff. LA ain’t gonba win Sh!t w/ him as HC

• money2long - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

the fact that the Lakers have the talent to win, added to the fact that anything can happen in sports as well as understanding the the best team (defending champs) doesn’t always repeat, you can NOT say that the lakers don’t have a chance to win a championship simply based off the coach because sometimes talent can find ways to get the points needed to eek out a 4th qtr win. talented teams can go on winning streaks, get hot and hot at the right time. please, don’t embarrass yourself. because LA has just as good a chance to win as any team in the NBA.

11. jetsblaze - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I felt like Mike Brown got waaaay too much blame last season. Think about it, he had no training camp and we had absolutely no one who could consistently knock down a perimeter shot. It was ridiculous to watch TBH. Teams just packed the paint against us at will and we couldn’t make them pay for it. That’s why our offense suffered so much.

It would have been different if the Lakers didn’t get quality shots under MB’s schemes… but they did. They just couldn’t convert. With the acquisition of Nash (one of the greatest shooters of all time), Meeks, Jamison and now that Artest is healthy (he was playing with nerve damage up until the all-star break, so it’s no coincidence he shot 39% from 3 once he was finally healthy and had an extra bounce in his step we haven’t seen from in years), things should change.

12. BigBeachBall - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

mike brown won’t get out of the second round because he’s an obese clown with downs and gut that is bigger than the earth is round.

13. simonwelds - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This is a set-up, There gonna put Brown on the IR, to bring Jackson back

14. jagwar73 - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Still can’t believe one of the greatest Lakers ever, Jerry West was able to ship Pau Gasol to the Lakers several years ago. It’s like Larry Bird being GM for the Bulls and sending Jordan back to Boston. And now the Lakers get Dwight Howard? So much for competitive balance. So now Lakers or Heat? Maybe the Thunder will win…sigh

• manchestermiracle - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Or you could have compared the Gasol trade to Kevin McHale shipping Garnett to the Celtics for Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff. At least the Grizzlies got the rights to Gasol’s brother, Marc, who’s turning into a decent player. But since you’re obviously a Celtic fan I can see why the Garnett “trade” would slip your mind….

15. lakerluver - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Let me do this in order, @PAULHARGIS53, glad to see you’re recovering from that binge you went on after Super Man landed in L.A.!! One day at a time, my friend!……@DIS612, I have complete faith & trust in the LAKERS organization, therefore, I had no problem with them hiring M. Brown (though I wanted Shaw)…..@CLOWNSFAN, thanks for bringing some “intelligence” to the table. And you say Mike Brown’s a jag off?!!!…….@STOUTFILES, I said “we” because I’m a diehard LAKERS fan, which means I’m part of the LAKERS family. Don’t believe me? Well, watch how they thank us fans in June when “we’re” celebrating another title!!….@BIGBEACHBALL, I bet you’re user name fits you perfectly!! Get off my coach!! After all, next June he will be known as coach of the 2013 NBA World Champs!!…..last but not least, @THEREALHTJ, preach on, bro, preach on!!!!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 23, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Love it! Came in the ol’ saloon with two loaded 6 shooters and vengence in your eyes!

Lol @ the ph53 comment. Yeah, she did disapear for a while after D12 was announced officially in the Purp n Gold. I remember a while back when she said the Lakers would win it all if they would ever pull off a Howard trade, but said that would never happen. Paul probably started opening up her fat mouth after she finished her crow pie.

• scalfor3 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

oh its funny because you called him “she”. i get it

16. fanz928 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

The only person that saved heat from that Boston series is lebron coaching was a fail

17. jerdogthompson - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

All you Faker fans are lucky the NBC moderator refuses to post anything I write. Dream on……..

I’m tired of wasting my time stating facts about this team only to have Marv Albert that little back biter not post them. Keep living in dream land. Lakers won’t even make it out of the West. Mark this post and these words.

18. jerdogthompson - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Money,

WTF RU talking about? Just curious.

19. chargersallday17 - Aug 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Ppl need to quit hateing on this guy n give him another chance & for all the bad things that happened in 2011-2012 season includeing haveing a horrible
    bench i think he did pretty well with gettin us to the playoffs as a 3rd seeded team an dont forget we almost beat okc all the games were close except game 1 or 2 !! Give brown a full offseason,full trainning camp n full preseason gms an hell do alot better !!!!! I have faith in brown && the lakers !!!!! & YES IMA LAKER FAN SINCE 1990 !!!

20. omniusprime - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Clueless Clown Brown had better sprain his brain muscle trying to figure out a good offense for this new Laker team. Clueless Clown Brown certainly hasn’t sprained his brain muscle in past years coming up with pathetic excuses for offense. If Clueless Clown Brown can’t win a title with this new Laker team then hopefully he’ll be fired so the Lakers can bring in a real coach who has a real clue about offense and defense. Go Lakers!

21. jagwar73 - Aug 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Garnett was nearing the end of his career, not entering his prime. Otherwise the same. Marc has done well in Memphis. Bet Jerry’s upset about that.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches